Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick lime 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsane

Civil/Environmental
Jul 1, 2003
US
I'm looking for a MSDS for Quick lime. Does anyone have a link they can share. I can't find anything.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Supplier of CaO must provide MSDS of their products. They probably have a web site that you can access and print off the data sheets you require.

I have used quick lime processed from the Exshaw Mine in Alberta. The following link should get you an MSDS of their product.

Try to find out the name of the producer of the lime that will be used for your purposes. You should always follow the precautions and handling procedures specified by the supplier/producer that you will be using.

Thanks SirAl. Very helpful site. Sub brought the lime on, and it ate through the plumbers PVC (we are hoping that the reason was because it was at full concentrate when the load was dropped, if not we have other problems on our hands right now. :-( )....no one has ever seen that happen before. Subcontractor seems to be finding a hard time with getting the MSDS sheets to me...(go figure)....time to hold his payment to say the least! ;-)

Quicklime shouldn't do that to "good" PVC. You need to get samples of the pipe to a plastics expert. I suspect defective pipe, not quicklime.

[pacman]

Agreed Focht3. Plumber called yesterday to have his "experts" along with the rep for the PVC to come out to inspect.

Whew, at least I know I'm on the right path with this! Thanks everyone.

I've stored strong acids and bases in PVC containers - never had a leak. The plumber (and/or his PVC pipe supplier) seem to be playing the "blame game" - but it shouldn't work.

The problem is probably due to either 1)defective feedstock (probably contaminated) or 2)extrusion problems. At least that's what I've been told about similar failures on some of my litigation assignments -

[pacman]

PVC products could be vulnerable to hydrocarbon based solvents. I can't see pvc conduit compromised by exposure to lime. I suppose if your plumbing utilizes some form of metal connectors or fasteners then there could be a potential problem although I would expect to see such problems develop when in service, not during construction. I agree with Focht3's intuition on this one.

The plumbers had the pvc removed, and took it in for testing, so we will know more once the results come back.

Thanks again for the input from everyone. :)

If I don't do it, Who will?

Not being from the US I'm perhaps not in tune with your problem, but have you considered the heat given off in the exothermic reaction of quicklime and water as being the source of your problem?

Hmmm,

[blue]Nsane[/blue] opined on July 2, 2003:

Sub brought the lime on, and it ate through the plumbers PVC (we are hoping that the reason was because it was at full concentrate when the load was dropped, if not we have other problems on our hands right now.

The expression "it ate through the plumbers PVC" doesn't sound like the pipe melted. And I have a hard time seeing the soil reacting quickly enough - and getting hot enough - to melt PVC. The soil would have to be well above 176&[ignore]deg[/ignore]; (PVC's melting point) in order to really damage the PVC...

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Just to add to the above statements, we have seen lime/soil mixtures hydrate at temperatures above 140 degrees F with only soil moisture. If the pipes were leaking (before or as a result of the loading caused by the stockpiled lime) and more of the quicklime reacted, I suspect temperatures could get above 170 degrees. We've documented in at above 180 degrees when mixed in the presence of free water to form a slurry.

Zdinak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back