Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QUICKPEN PIPING DESIGNER 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have received a demo copy of this but have not made a decision on purchase. The software looks good but we are unsure of how large the file sizes will be. As well, we need to do structural detailing at the same time as the piping, since we build packaged piping systems. If you have found out anymore, I would appreciate a reply.
Frank Stempfer
Howard Marten Co. Ltd.

Frank Stempfer, CET
franks@howardmarten.com

Hi Frankie,
Thanks for your reply, the company I work for finally went out and purchased it about a month ago.
File sizes are most certainly smaller than any other package I have come across, but as yet I am unable to give you the percentage, as I am still in the middle of another job that I started 5 weeks ago, with just using AutoCad to make the Piping runs etc.
I actually did the demo package you have to print out, to use, it took a little while since some of the documentation leaves a bit to be desired, but the file size was way smaller than any similar thing in AutoCad or any other package.

May I suggest you also review CadWorx, prior to buying anything yet, I went to a seminar 3 weeks ago on it and was quite impressed for the price of $3500.

Look forward to hearing from you, I am located near Toronto.

Tony

I have been using PD3D for the last 18 months (in it's various forms). It works great and is very customizable.
File sizes are smaller, but a detailed 6 pump pumphouse will still take time to regen in AutoCAD. I haven't found a better alternative.

I still have problems with their BOM feature. Specs are written to include the exact text in the BOM, but it often gives me the master file text and not the job specific spec text. It is only a minor problem to edit the BOM.

I haven't had a chance to load the newest update, so maybe its fixed now.

Honestly, I would not want to layout pipe any other way now, my productivity is >2x and I providing better designs and detail.

Tony,
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Thanks for the info on PD-3D and on CADWorx. I will try to review CADWorx.
My biggest challenge at this time is trying to get a cad package that does both "piping" and "structural" in one unit. We (HMCL, my employer) design packaged piping systems and I need to detail equipment, piping, and structurals ... and then move 'em around until it's too difficult for the shop to build, but meets the customer's space restrictions!
The ability to design it all and then strip out the sub-assemblies is a huge bonus for me.

Frank Stempfer, CET
franks@howardmarten.com

Frank,

QP3D comes with a quik menu to insert structural shapes. They are ture 3D solids in AutoCAD. You can edit them just like any other solid. The program is not a structural program, so no other structural aids are provided.

Since QP3D is an add in to AutoCAD, anything AutoCAD can do is possible. We draw pipe supports and structural racks all the time. With a couple of lisp routines to automate drawing 3D bolts and plates with holes, our simple structures are easy to complete.

Guy Rothrock
guy@novagrp.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back