Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Common" and "Delta" components in large assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

saarp

Automotive
Apr 17, 2016
IL
Hello,

I have to handle 3 large assemblies, located on the same folder (actually on teamcenter, but doesn't matter).
They have a lot of common components, but some are specific. These are different variations of the same design.
Is there any "fast" way for creating a "common" assembly for all the common components, and "delta" assembly for the differences between assemblies?
This way I will have a "basic" assembly which is common to all, and 3 "small" assemblies with specific changes.
all components are positioned on absolute origin.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say Arrangements is the thing to look for...

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

I need this for exporting the assembly to a subcontractor, and he can't use arrangements.
I want to make him 4 files. one file for common, and 3 files for "deltas".
Can you explain how to do this with arrangements?

If he can't use arrangements then there is no use in doing it like this.
Then I would say to make use of the variants module in Teamcenter. (I'm not sure how it works)

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

The subcontractor is using different software.
I want to make it easier for him, so I want to make him a "base" file (multi-body is also OK) with the common components.
And in addition 3 different files for the "delta" of each configuration.

These are actually 3 different variants of the same product, so we need to design 3 different items, and each item is related to its own assembly.

I'm not familiar with the variants module in TC. I'm not even sure if we have it in my organization.

Thank you

First, build your assembly in TC/NX (as you normally would, either separate or even all components in one file). You then want to Export... STEP203...

Export_step_T2_poksdo.png

Give a file name (and external location), then...

Export_step_T1_gqoqtn.png

Select only the components you want in that file, ie; "base". Repeat this procedure for your different "delta1", "delta2", etc configurations. Send the resulting .stp files to your vendor.
You can check your exports by launching NX 'native-mode' (without TC) and File -> Open... these files, changing your file type .prt to .stp.

Gary Bangs

That's exactly the question - How do I separate select the "base" components from the delta components?!?

I don't know which are the base and which are the delta.
And I have a few dozens of components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back