Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Continuous Weld"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve003

Industrial
Jul 4, 2012
CA
I am trying to better understand the definition of "Continuous Weld". The main question would be if a start/stop location is allowed inside the length of a continuous weld.

The AWS definition (From A3.0) is "A weld that extends continuously from omne end of a joint to the other." Doesn't seem to help much with that.

Any code/AWS references that explain this would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you check AWS D1.1 Annex K, the definition is as you state plus one sentence.

"...Where the joint is essentially circular, it extends completely around the joint."

I think this explains it well since it would not be possible to make a circular weld without at least one start/stop. The opposite of "continuous weld" is "intermittent weld" where the continuity is broken by recurring unwelded spaces.

A "continuous weld" can have multiple starts/stops within it, all depending on the length of the joint,the process used and number of layers.

A continuous weld is what the employer would like to have all the time.
An intermittent weld is when the welder has regular breaks for a smoke or a chat with the guy working beside him. [pipe]

In some of our welded applications where FEA has determined a high stress area, we add a note to the drawing such as "start/stops not permitted in this area." You may want to check with your design engineer if there are such areas on your product.

the answer to that question is found in the aws d1.1. 2010.and ist yes there can me muntiple start and stops in a continous weld ...aws 2.4.2.1.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back