" Do nothing machine" skills testing machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodneyjax

Industrial
Jul 16, 2006
US
Rodneyjax

I have been searching for information on a machanical aptitude testing machine and found old thread635-37859 refering to the same. I have one. I was looking for anyone with info or manuals for this. The story that I got was that Proctor and Gamble made this machine to test possible mechanic trainees. It has a small block that represents a bar of soap and it cycles through a series of movements. If anyone can add to the story, please do. Would like to know the value of this heavy little machine. Everyone loves to play with it and a few guys that I work with remember them from way back in the day. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a "do nothing machine" too.

I think I've got the manual somewhere. If I remember correctly, the manual takes you through how to test someone and how to score.

I'll have a look back at the ranch. I'll get back to you if I find it.

For fun, and learning, I attached a servo motor to the drive shaft to see how fast I could get it running.

Anyway, when I know one way or the other if I've got the manual, I'll be back.

Cheers, Solider

If you can provide a link to a picture of this machine, I would be interested also.

I worked for P&G as a co-op student, but have never heard of something like this. I am sure they would have made all of us interns take the test, for amusement if nothing else.

:)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Well Rodneyjax and et al
I have found a manual of sorts.
It was written by some group in Unilever. It tells you how to test, how to set the machine up in a various jammed states before the test, and how to score each. I think, however, there is another manual to go along with it that I dont have.

Solider

I have a hard time picturing anything Unilever "things" in P&G.
[rofl]

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Rodneyjax
Goodmorning
You would probably find it interesting to know that these machines are still used by companies to test mechanical aptitude. Hard to believe but true.

Bigbillnky,C.E.F.....(Chief Electrical Flunky)

I do not have a link to photos of the machine. I cannot find any info about on the web except for in this forum. If I knew what it's name is, maybe I could locate a link and share it. When it is all said and done I will try to set something up for all to see. Thanks for your interest and support. R.

I just reviewed this thread and did not see my previous post offering to cover the cost of copying and postage of a "do nothing machine" manual or my e-mail address to download into WORD. Thanks. R.

Ok,
The Manual I have is:
"Manual for Aptitude Testing Machine". The Machine, which I also have, moves a "Bar of Soap" across, up, over, down, across, over, etc. IE nowhere. There 8 cams and mechanisms, all with various settings and adjustments. There is a handle and slip clutch for you to turn the machine over with, and a dial plate to let you know where you are in the cycle.

The manual I guess is not the original that came along with the machine, but a bastardisation of an existing manual, that I don't have.

Solider

Rodneyjax,
There is a bit of a complication on this forum which I find frustrating. It seems that if you exchange emails or addresses or anything that allows you to get in touch in anyway outside this forum, then you run the risk of being excommunicated. I can understand some aspects of wanting to keep everything non commercial, but when it is clearly just a bit of help.

So my summary is - I don't know how to get the inforamtion to you.

Unless someone can tell me if there is a way

Solider

Posting a link to your web site is very common.

Lots of people have a link to their web site.

Albert Einstein

I do not have a web site. Don't know what I would put on it that would be of interest to anyone that does not know me. I do shop on e-bay and have never seen any listing for my machine. I keep looking for one to come up for bid so I can get an idea of it's value and proper name in order to search for it through Google.I could use that as a contact point if it did not violate the rules. Does your machine have a tag on it that could help me search? So far' this has been my best hope of finding out about this. I thought of contacting Procter and Gamble in hopes of finding an old timer who would have insight on this. Keep hoping for the best. R

Why haven't you contacted P&G?

I believe that they have a museum in Cincinnati - maybe the curator there would have some information of use to you?

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back