Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Engineering-International" Design Spreadsheets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishnias

Structural
Aug 10, 2009
US
Has anyone purchased the spreadsheets found at and could vouch for their accuracy and/or value? They seem well put together, but the creator, a Daniel Tian Li, SE out of California, would not give me references when I contacted him, citing 'marketing games' he doesn't want to get involved with.

If not, could anyone point me in the direction of a useful seismic analysis tool?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the one or two spreadsheets I opened, the references are quoted there.

I can't see what marketing games there are though if the calculation methods are readily available on the references.

corus

By references, I meant people who have used them that I could talk to, see if there are bugs or pitfalls that aren't apparent from the locked versions.

Our firm bought them and I have used some of them occaissionally. In fact I had forgotten we had them until I read this posting.

No idea what they cost - so were they worth it - I do not know.

One problem we have is that all of the spreadsheets are protected and being engineers we would like the ability to tweak them at times for our own specific cases.

The spreadsheet for combined footings gave much more conservative results, for footing thickness, than the way I always did them. Being conservative is a good thing. I am not saying they were wrong - but I chose not to use it and continue those designs like I always had done.

GJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back