Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Free Store Overflow" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
Hey there !

I got a "Free Store Overflow" error, and my AutoCAD "couldn't continue" & crashed.

Running ACAD-2011 on Vista/32, 4Gb RAM.

Thoughts ?

Tks-

C. Fee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This looks like it is something to do with the computer struggling, i'm guessing this was a pretty large drawing to make a pc with them specs struggle. That said, Vista is renown for being a resource hog.

The only thing i can suggest is to keep trying to open it, and when you do, save it as often as you can when editing it in the future. There seems no certain answer for it on the internet i'm afraid.

Thanks guys. Turns out this was a memory management issue on the part of VISTA. Apparently not only does VISTA take up much more resource room than it should, It doesn't seem to release memory as it should after programs are closed. This is inexcusable, but not unpredictable. Want a good one ? Apparently -7 is supposed to be better- ALMOST as good as -XP was ! Did you catch that ? 2 O-S releases later and we're ALMOST as good as we used to be managing memory ! Ok the solution ? Why we should all go out and spend HUNDREDS on MORE MEMORY and an O-S that'll use it ! Of course, it'll be up to you to deal with either REPLACING your perfectly good software - at a a cost of THOUSANDS of $$$$ or just deal with the incompatibilities ! Cost of progress anyone ? Ok, this doesn't add to the conversation here, but it DOES go to the question of the practicability of constantly upgrading when it should only be necessary for the benefit of a business considering the expense.

Well, this is the reason i told everyone at my company to stay on XP. Don't fix it if it isn't broken and after having Vista on a home laptop i know how much of a nightmare it can be.
You managed to find a way around the problem?

If you do manage to open it up on another computer, try to purge it. If there are no X-ref, turn that drawing into a block drawing and then you may be able to open the drawing as a block on your VISTA operating system.

I was able to open the drawing just fine after a hard reboot. We've had problems squeezing all kinds of things into what VISTA leaves us after it loaded. I use other CAD programs too, and they bump into similar issues. Its just that AutoCAD needs the resources SO much, that it reacts the most dramatically to the shortage. THEN you add VISTA's poor memory management on top of that, and even unloading other programs & open windows doesn't help. We've just gone back to the painful days of frequent saves (remember the days when you wrote a qsave into some frequently used command buttons ?) and reboots. Thanks again !

C.Fee

With any CAD system on a Windows platform, I tell my users to reboot EVERY night as they head out the door.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back