Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"n" and "k" values for 6" PVC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhenne

Civil/Environmental
Aug 2, 2000
US
I am using a horizontally run section of 6" PVC culvert as the principle outlet for a retention pond. Can anyone provide me with mannings "n" and a "k" value (entrance head loss coefficient - pipe end mitered to match a 3-1 side slope; no headwall protection)? I would also appreciate recommendations of a reliable source of this type of information. I have tables for corregated metal and concrete pipe as well as nearly every other type of channel lining but nothing on PVC. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on the metal and concrete table that you were talking about in your post. I am having a hard time finding this info, and I need to make my numbers consistent. If you could email me this info, or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

jasmichel@hotmail.com

I typically never use a Mannings' n less than 0.013. Don't forget that most contractor's won't build what you design to "Lab" quality...which is where most of the n values are determined...

For your K values, look for a government document called HY-8. It does a good job of providing K values for various end configurations.

I don't know of a reference for plastic pipe "n" values, but the lower limit for n is 0.009 (glass tubing). When I worked with the Corps of Engineers, we replaced CMP culverts with 72" PVC pipe and used an n of 0.011. For a mitred entrance with no headwall, the entrance loss coefficient is normally taken as 0.7. This can be confirmed in most any publication dealing with culverts.

The manufacturers recommended manning's 'n'is 0.009, however I do not recommend using anything below 0.013 as you are not dealing with pristine conditions. You should allow for additional roughness that will occur as a result of sedimentation, slime etc... not to mention installation tolerances. Normally I don't use anything smaller than an 8" pipe for culverts unless you have restrictions that won't allow for larger diameter. For other inofrmation regarding PVC pipes perhaps try contacting the "UNI-BELL PVC PIPE ASSOCIATION" in Dallas, Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back