Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"one or more contact regions may not be in initial contact" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISBind

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2011
IN
Dear All

I am using ansys 12.0. while solving structure problem (snapshot attached) i am getting error "one or more contact regions may not be in initial contact). as it is welded structure so bonded connection is used.

anyone can help me to know what can be possible cause for this and what can be done to avoid it??

Regards
Inder

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try to look at the contact solution informations like gap/penetration and status ? That might show you were the problem is. Also check the pinball values and, as your contact are bonded, I think you should ensure that the pinball value should be higher than your clearance (I may be wrong on that one).

Also check the information on contacts status before solve (in the connections section), it can sometime be useful.

Thanx orel

i have not given any clearance in any of contact.

Can that be reason for such error???

Do i need to give some sort of clearance(in model) in case of bonded connection( or any type of connection)???

No, this should not be a cause of error.

Right click on Connections > insert > contact tools, and check the informations given at this point (don't hesitate to check other things than only "initial information", like status, gap etc...)

Same thing on solution, insert > contact tool, then same process.

Check your contacts to see which one(s?) is(are) the source of your error

i can see many contact region showing as far open and marked as red in initial information.

I suppose if i can fix it i can get rid of this error.

thanx a lot orel.

one last thing orel.

Do i need to fix my model or i need to make some other changes to get rid of such error??

what according to you i did wrong to get such error???

I can't say for sure.

Maybe there is a geometrical gap at some contact region. If so, you can either add material fill it geometrically (increase the diameter of the inner part for exemple) or switch to manual pinball radius and set it to be higher than this gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back