Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"opaque" viewports in 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUNDEMON

Industrial
Dec 5, 2003
US
hi,

I have a 3D drawing that has viewports in paper space with hideplot on, and paper space view set to "hidden" so the wireframe is invisible as i work in paper space. I'm finding that if I make an MTEXT annotation (or dimension, for that matter) that, if I drag it over the viewport it becomes "invisible" in paper space. It's still there, and shows when plotting, but otherwise I can't see it to place it, etc. Also, I notice that the viewport appears "opaque" in that if I place it over objects in paper space, e.g. the title block, etc. they are hidden. It's as if the viewport is on a higher "z" level, stacked on top of other objects in paper space.

Can anyone offer guidance to control this?

thanks,
sundemon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you have described is a known problem in AutoCAD 2002. I do not know if it has been fixed in AUtoCAD 2004. The problem occurs if your model is viewed in perspective projection in the viewport. If it suits your drawing, you should try setting the view to parallel projection.

Regards - Richard

thanks Richard,
FYI, I am in parallel projection, so the problem isn't limited to that projection. Also, I previously worked using 2000 and remeber a similar situation.

sundemon

Another possibility is that you may have set the display mode inside the viewport to Hidden or Rendered. Set the display inside the viewport to 2D Wireframe, then switch to Paper Space, click on the viewport border (rightclick) and set its properties to Hide Plot = Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back