Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Power System Analysis" by Grainger & Stevenson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigamp

Electrical
Apr 12, 2002
NZ
I am looking at buying "Power System Analysis" by Grainger and Stevenson. This book seems to have mixed reviews, with the suggestion that an earlier edition (by the late professor Stevenson) may be a better book.

Is anyone able to give an opinion or recommendation on either book, or possibly suggest an alternate text on the subject?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: Obtain a content of each book and select one that fits your needs. Stevenson did not treat sparse matrices. Grainger may have some errors in some examples. This was posted in this Forum in the more remote past.

I'm only familiar with the earlier Stevenson book, which we used as our main text back in 1974. Excellent book but dated. I much prefer the book by O. Elgerd "Electric Energy Systems Theory". Michael Sidiropoulos

I have a copy of the Grainger and Stevenson book, and have been very happy with it. In my opinion, it's one of the best textbooks I've used.

I guess you can take that however you'd like -- either Grainger and Stevenson is really good, or everything else I used was really bad. From comparing it to other power systems textbooks, I'd say it's one of the better ones though.

I have Elements of Power System Analysis by WD Stevenson- Fourth Edition, and in my opinion it is a great reference for
Transmission lines
System modeling
Symmetrical components
Unsymmetrical faults
Power system stability

I found that does not have good samples for load flow and for the step-by-step-solution of the swing equation. Also when modeling synchronous machines neglects saliency (which is acceptable in the most of the times), and the part about System Protection is basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back