Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Preconditioning Failed" becomes "STAR has stopped working"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbyrtus

Mechanical
May 19, 2016
CA
I'm trying to simulate a model with the purpose of finding fastener loads. I've run into the preconditioning failed/check boundary conditions error. So I've tried using this ( to fix it, as those steps have worked in the past. But now the study stops with a windows error stating STAR has stopped working.
I tried the folder changing and ensured permissions, also disabled hyperthreading (as indicated here: and here: to no avail.

I've checked and rechecked loads and constraints and connectors again and again. Even running with a global bonded condition and no connectors I still run into the STAR issue. The moment I attempt to introduce a no penetration condition or then connectors I then get the preconditioning failed error.

Anyone have guidance as to what else I could check? I've run analyses of this type before, and even larger/more involved. It seems like something has changed but I have no idea what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back