Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"rubbing sheet" related to big ol' steel castings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
A foundry on the other side of the big water has provided inspection documents for some 1200 - 3000 lb cast steel rolls/tires that are provided machined all over.

Among the various documents are "rubbing sheets".
They are dated way back in the manufacturing process, like maybe when the raw casting were brand new, or were heat treated.
The pieces in the picture look like maybe three coupons for each roll/tire.
I see no consistency in the ground finishes or the color.
Not that I'd expect color is an acceptable gage for controlling heat treatment.
They provided nicely detailed Heat treatment reports with 14 hour time/temperature traces

Google was no help.

I figured I'd ask about the purpose of these "rubbings" here before asking the foundry.
We will be asking the foundry for clarification of several other points.

thanks,

Dan T

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=79ea88f5-af41-4309-8149-dfe0a2955a25&file=rubbing_sheet_example_.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SPECULATION:

The pictures show stamped marks that likely indicate manufacturer, or lot or some other tracability information.

"Back in the day" one could have taken a "Rubbing" ( to include in a certification report as evidence of what the report is reporting about.

I can imagine those could be called "rubbing sheets".

Now, they have evolved into a picture, but the name lives on.

Tmoose said:
Google was no help.

Funny, Google usually helps me a lot. It will cough up the names of 20 producers in Shanghai, all presenting the same technical information plagiarized from a US manufacturer.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

" Rubbing sheet" never came across this term,in my long metal casting career. The pictures do not speak great about any surface finish requirements.

Samples remind me of high Manganese steel castings. Sorry cannot make any sense.

I have encountered 'pencil rubbings', usually to capture vessel nameplates. The paper would go into the history docket. These days we would just use a photograph.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I have seen cases where they stamp castings and then in the old days (before digital photos) they would actually take rubbings of the markings for records.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back