Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Stiff" Source verses a "Weak" Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

umrpwr

Electrical
Dec 21, 2002
US
On a similar note to a previous posting regarding faults and short-circuits another question was discussed regarding what constitutes a “stiff” source of fault current. Again opinions and thoughts were divided as were the responses.

Some defined a ‘stiff” source in terms of bus voltage and ratio of short-circuit to load current with a ratio greater than 5 being considered a stiff source. While others preferred to define the “stiffness” of the source in terms of source impedance.

I would be interested in others opinion on this subject and how they would qualitatively define what they consider to be a “stiff” source of fault current. Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One breakdown is the current distortion limits of IEEE Std 519-1992, IEEE Recommended Practices and Requirements for Harmonic Control in Electric Power Systems. In this standard, the limits are different depending on the ration of I[sub]sc[/sub] (not I[sub]f[/sub];-)) to I[sub]L[/sub]. Ranges being <20, 20<50, 50<100, 100<1000, and >1000.

Stiff systems (high short-circuit current in relation to load current) can absorb higher harmonic currents without causing harmful harmonic voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back