Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"The best MCAD program you won't buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, time to bring my UG/NX skills back up to par.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Several years ago I was hired on as Project Manager at a mid-size manufacturing house. I was tasked with targeting the deep pockets of Law Enforcement and the military. During this time, I recommended the purchase of a 3D MCAD - as we were still using Autocad. I looked around, chatted some folks up, etc. Solid Edge was barely a blip on the radar. SW won my recommendation - in spite of the pushy salesmen.

Now, I'm working with a commercial food appliance manufacturer. I walked in the door not knowing a thing about SE. Now, just a few months later, I'm planning on purchasing my own seat of SE and transitioning away from SW at home.

I am impressed on a daily basis with SE. It seems that everything I wanted SolidWorks to do, SE does do.

Except for marketing. That's were SE lacks and SW takes the grand prize.

Frankly, that's my biggest gripe with SE. It is barely a blip on the radar. It is never compared to by other MCAD sofwares in their ads. UGS barely even mentions it in their adds. Instead, the focus is on PLM or Velocity Series. Very little about the backbone CAD package that goes into it.

If I had $5000US around, and could afford the yearly maintenance, I'd pick up a seat of SE for home play.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

UG doesn't want to let SE out and play....or people would start to realize that SE would be better for 95% of the stuff they are using UG for and buy SE instead....amounting to lost $$$ for UGS.

Having used UG for alnmost two years now.....I can see very little advanatage to it that would justify it's high price compared to SE or SWX. It has high end surfacing and curve capabilities but most companies don't need that and the Solid"x" programs are catching up.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Some very interesting comments.

So what do you guys think will happen to SE? Will it continue to be on the background as a underrated program? Or what is the other future possibilities?

Solid Edge V18 SP5 on WinXP SP2

Don't worry about the future of any current CAD system - they will all be superseded eventually.

bc

I have a suspicion that Solid Edge will eventually become the base module for UG/NX. Why else would UGS continue to develop something but not make any effort to sell it.

I agree with psm38. If I'm not mistaken, NX uses quite a bit of the SE sheet metal functionality.

I've used pro E and Solid Edge.

Solid Edge gets my vote between the two.

Much easier to learn and far better value for money.

I always hear about the things Pro E can do that SE can't but I never really found any.

That said I didn't use Pro E anywhere as much as SE so maybe I just didn't find them yet.

I'm a SW user but given the choice of other MCAD software vs. Inventor I would choose SE without even blinking. SE is a fine software package. I'm for anyone getting a sale over any 3D Autodesk product. Autodesk was arrogant and stale for so long now they are trying to play catch up so they don't lose market share. I look forward to the day when I look on monster.com for engineering jobs and where CAD experience is listed I don't see Autocad required though that probably won't ever completely happen.

Being from a African country I am not that exposed to all the marketing of Inventor, SW and SE. Exactly how fierce is the marketing in the USA and is it fair?

Solid Edge V18 SP5 on WinXP SP2

I would say that Swx and IV are at each others throats. SE is scarcely heard from.

Inventor marketing usually goes along with something like "No one handles dwg better than they do and you risk valuable data loss using a competitor". Solidworks marketing seems to just say that they have lots of converted happy Autocad users....and that they make 2d to 3d transition "painless".

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Solid Edge uses Direct modeling technology from NX and NX uses Sheet metal technology from Solid Edge, it's kind of an exchange I guess. I used both softwares, they both have their customers and their marketplace. I hope Solid Edge is here to stay, I never used something so intuitive to use/learn.

One interesting note is that Solid Edge and UG NX can talk to each other and exchange data. This is becoming more noticed since the upcoming Solid Edge version 19 has the ability to use some of the machining modules from UG NX such as NX CAM express. I don't believe that Solidworks and Catia have a direct exchange ability (mid range software to high end sofware) that SE and NX have but . If I'm incorrect please correct me. Also, unlike Dassault and UGS, Autodesk has no high end product(yet). Interestingly, SWX licenses the Parasolid modeling kernel from UG but Dassault, SWXs parent company, owns the ACIS kernel. I'm not making any arguments or comparisons, but more that it's really interesting to watch this rapidly developing/expanding market and see the battles between companies and how they play their strengths and few weaknesses (for the money) to gain market share.

Kyle

Interesting and I believe correct comments kjoiner. On another note I believe if all those old time Autodesk users would have orginally started out on something other than Autocad they wouldn't even consider purchasing it today. They just don't want to consider change and they have no idea what they are missing out on. I've used about every type of CAD program out there from all the major players at one time or another and in my opinion Autocad is the worst for mechanical design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back