"The Clamp Connectors" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoo3

Petroleum
May 6, 2015
SK
Hi there,

I would like to improve reliability and safety of clamp connectors, because I don't have good experience with job of our on site service company. We have sevaeral GRAYLOC connectors (range 1/2" - 30") and after T/A we has some inspection findings such as "hub in poor condition - welding and remachining is necessary". I have 2 ways for repairing of clamp connectors:

1, Order the new company, that provide full service - on site service (disassembling, seats measuring, seats welding, seats remachining, assembling, tightening)

2, Order the works in our internal maintenance company, but, in this case I need the:
a, Measures and allowances of Grayloc hubs - Is possible to gain them or buy them? The current on site service company told me, that is the know-how of Grayloc company. Do you think, that is true?
b, Milling machines for flange seats remachining (such as the Mirage)

What are yours experiences with inspection and servicing of Grayloc connectors?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know that you can receive hub data Grayloc for machining; because I have seen manufacturing companies request and received it in the past. I believe that in order to do so they entered into a licensing agreement with Greyloc. That situation was somewhat unique as the manufacturers were machining Greyloc hubs into other equipment that then created a bolted connection.

Check out this Link for some dimensions.

I have to be careful not to solicit your business, but I have worked for the original manufacturer of the Grayloc, and several clones. I now work for another - and it's not the one in my sign-on name. I will try to answer your questions as I see them here.

I list the four majors manufacturers of Hub/Clamp Connectors (in order of their appearance in the market)
A. Grayloc, Div. Oceaneering,
B. Vector Products, Div. of Freudenberg Oil and Gas
C. Galperti Engineering and Flow Control
D. LTS

1. All of the above will work with you and your service provider to get you/them the information you require to achieve leak-free start-up and operations. Most will be reluctant to offer information for equipment not sourced from them, because information is a commodity. I don't know which service provider you are using, but the effectiveness often varies from site lead to site lead. Find one you can trust and stick with that person. I know of one plant that has changed providers several times to follow one particular senior field person. You may need to add one or more of the manufacturers to your list of approved vendors in order to complete your range of suppliers. BTW, all of these manufacturers can supply a full range of interchangeable products, including hubs, clamps, and seal rings.

2. I have not seen a single instance whereby a plant has been successful incorporating the necessary maintenance activities to maintain their clamp connectors in-house. It just costs too much money when compared to what you can get if you shop the quality and expertise required. No one will sell you the dimensional information and the field technicians acquired their's by recording the information they were given to do a specific job. In the 60+ years the connection has been around, that pretty much covers almost every connection. Again, my suggestion would be to contact some or all of the manufacturers, and ask them for guidance.

Many thanks for yours answers and advices amd I will continue in this topic:

I own the one unit for 15 years and most of total quantity of clamp connectors never been disassebmled. Do you think, that is necessary for some period to make total inspection as prevention for all clamp connectors at unit? What is the best practice for clamp connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back