Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Unrated" vs. NEMA 1 rated enclosure acc. UL50

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmlr

Industrial
Dec 30, 2008
US
We are a panel builder, and our client requires us to supply some panels that are rated NEMA 1 according to UL508A. However, the actual enclosure they specified does not seem to be rated at all. I am wondering if we can actually rate the enclosure without testing it according to UL50.

Is there a difference between NEMA 1 rated enclosures and unrated enclosures (i.e. does an enclosure actually have to go through tests to be rated NEMA 1), or is an unrated enclosure automatically rated NEMA 1?

Thanks,
Caspar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are a UL508 panel builder, then you know every enclosure that you use needs to be UL listed. If it is, then it should have a nema or IP rating. If there is no mark, then it's not ok for UL unless you have specific testing done.
I don't think you can actually go less than a NEMA 1. If the enclosure has an IP rating, then it's convertable to a NEMA equivilant.
I've had my UL inspector tell me that if we went through a box with a device that had no rating, we had to put a sticker in that says the panel is de-rated to NEMA 1. Unless the box looks like swiss cheese, I'd say it's at least NEMA 1.

This gets to "Type" and "UL rating" Long discussion but any enclosure manufacturer Rittal, Hoffman, Saginaw, etc. will tell you that to get a UL rating on your assembly you need a "UL listed" enclosure. The "Type" designation is generally used by your local enclosure manufacturers when the enclosure is built to specifications similar to the NEC rating but not tested as a design. (Testing to a spec is what UL does)
Unrated... is not defined. Note I have seen electrical enclosures made of enameled CDX Plywood. That is unrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back