Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"update" Vs "update for external change"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCMartist

Marine/Ocean
Jun 20, 2006
FR
hello UG users,

can anyone tell me what is the difference between "update" and "update for external change"?
it seems "update for external change" is more complete, but I can't find out in what way.

if anyone know...

thanks in advance.

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello David. First, a couple of suggestions:

1. Always state the version of UG/NX you're using. Commands change or move between versions on occasion and knowing that up front helps us help you.

2. It also helps to identify the application you're using (Modeling, Assemblies, Drafting, etc.) when the issue or question arises.

If you have the Documentation installed, you can search for 'Update for External Change' and sort through the results to find that this command allows the user to update the model with edits that come from an external source, like a spreadsheet.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Ok thank you Tim,

sorry about the lack of statement, I'm not too used to post on the forum: I'm working on NX4, mostly modeling together with assembly, and drafting for 2D exchanges.

in fact, I'm hardly ever using "external reference", sometime spreadsheet but not often. I'm doing rather big assemblies, and still I noticed that 'Update for External Change' sometime updates thinks that does not update with 'update' only. hope my sentence makes sense...

thanks again

David,

I didn't think I recognized your name, so I just wanted to offer some suggestions that might make the Q and A proceed a little more smoothly. Like I said, it just helps us help you.

As far as Update vs. Update for External Change, did I answer your question? If not, just think of it like this: Update should just update your session, like an Assembly structure or Modeling features or Drawing views. It doesn't update external sources of information....that's what the Update for External Change does. Hope that makes sense.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back