"Visual Quality Control Inspectors are able to find every defect" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius_B

Industrial
Jun 22, 2023
DE
Hello everyone,

I am curious to find out if you would agree with the statement "Visual Quality Control Inspectors are able to find every defect" (e.g., in an end-of-line quality control) and if you think that a discrepancy between the perception and reality of the human inspection accuracy exists in practice.

I am looking forward to insightful discussions!

Best
Julius

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it was an Air Force study that came to the conclusion that only about 70% of the defects were detected on each inspection. Additional or different defects were detected during a reinspection or when reinspected by a second inspector.

Inspection aids, specific sequences, i.e., the use or masks, techniques, i.e., use of arrays, etc. improve the probability of detection.

Best regards - Al

In my experience this type of experience comes from a very shallow minded production person (or even Management). It goes hand in hand with "It's OK because inspection will catch it if we make a mistake."

Personally, I would want to change the name of "Inspector" to "Verifier" or "Validator". Which in a very healthy environment that these person are there to Verify that the product is good.
NOT to find fault.

The next statement from production will be "why are they nitpicking that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back