Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"What's New" links in SW2006 generate "access denied" error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsPawn

Electrical
Dec 27, 2002
US
I have clean installed SW2006 after thoroughly purging all previoius versions of SW from my desktop CAD station ( a total of four times now). The links to the "What's New" pdf file from the Help Menu and from the Resource Pane generate an "access denied" error dialogue. However, when I locate the file with Windows Explorer and double click on it, it opens with Adobe Reader without any problems. I have checked and double checked "permissions" both at the file level and within the windows registry. The problem does not occur on my laptop nor on my home CAD station. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Scott,

I pointed my VAR to your comment about the Hotfix 896358 after verifying that it is in fact installed. My installation is a stand-alone installation. My VAR forwarded the info to SW and here was their response:

"What Scott is referring to in the answer to the forum posting is a fix that pertains to remote code execution, which could potentially hide inside compiled html files. This affects the SolidWorks community when you have downloaded the latest help files. Your computer in that case will see that the .chm files came from a web address and will mark them as unsafe. I do not believe this is the case for .PDF documents. Please try to reinstall the Acrobat Reader as the problem may be related to how the reader has been registered with the system."

Of course I had already taken the step to remove and reinstall Adobe Reader as well as SW without any change.

Still searching ...

KingsPawn,

I have the same problem. But as long as I could open it up with Adobe Reader it was okay as long as everything else was working. My installation is stand-alone also. I have had similar issues with downloading from other programs, I save to the desktop and open them through AR. Would be interested in why this was working several months ago and now isn't but so far it is a minor level irritation that doesn't affect my ability to use SW or anything else. Keep us updated if you find the problem.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2006 SP0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1.5 GB RAM, Matrox P650
Logitech Marble Mouse, CADMAN

The HOTfix causes a security issue with you *.chm files. This problem when you toggle the check mark in the box allows the *.chm file to launch because the security issue is allowing the file to launch now.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Scott,

I'm not completely following your last response. I have looked at the properties of both the "WhatsNew.pdf" file and the "whatsnew.chm" file. When I double click on the individual files they open as expected in Adobe Reader and in Microsoft HTML Help respectively, as they should. However when I try to use the menu items for "What's New" within SolidWorks I get the access denied message. What toggle are you referring to in your comment.

Thanks,

Michael

It should have a little window about a security issue and you should just uncheck the box. I don't have a picture of it or I would post it for you. But if you are not getting a menu, then you are havign a different problem.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Solution found!! Thanks for your help Scott. It turns out that the fix was simpy to re-associate PDF files with the Adobe Reader. For some reason the file association failed from within SW but worked outside of SW. Go figure.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back