Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

QW-193.2 Performance Qualification Specimens (ASME Sec IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2018
PK
BackGround:

Mock up for tube to tube sheet is required by Client, so I qualified Procedure of tube to tube sheet as per QW-193.1 & QW-288. There were total 81 tubes. In addition of procedure, I also qualified 16 welders. The size of filler metal which was used was 1.6mm.

Question:

QW-193.2 states that "A
minimum of five mockup tube-to-tubesheet welds are required
to qualify each welder or welding operator. [highlight #FCE94F][highlight #FCE94F]The
same rules as those applicable for procedure qualification
(QW-193.1) shall be followed,[/highlight] with the following additional
requirements and exceptions:
(a) The essential variables in QW-387 shall apply.
(b) Essential performance qualification variables applicable
for each welding process listed in QW-350 or
QW-360 shall also be observed in addition to the variables
of Table QW-388[/highlight].

Same rules of QW-193.1 including essential varaibles of Table QW-288 also included in performance qualifiaction of welders on tube to tube sheet as per highlighted lines above. Means; in actual production welders are restricted on 1.6mm filler metal because change in size of filler metal as per QW-288 is essential variable but as per Table QW-388 Change in size of filler metal not listed for performance.

Pls clarify my query,

Thanks

Fahad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fahad,
You must have a separate WPS for each filler metal size as per QW288.1.
Once you have that the welders can weld 1, 2, 3 or 4 different filler metal sizes based on 1 x WQT.
Cheers,
Shane

Fahad,
You have given all the reference you need in your first post.
Filler metal size is an essential variable for procedure qualification (QW 288.1).
Filler metal size is a non-essential variable for welder qualification. (QW 388)

You have stated you have done 1 x PQR with 1.6 mm wire - that is the only filler wire size your welders can use in production.
If you did an additional PQR with 2.4 mm wire the welders could then weld with 1.6 or 2.4 mm wire based on the original WQT.

Cheers,
Shane

@DekDee,

Can i qualify tube to tube sheet mock up with combination of filler wire sizes, the sequence of mock up welding as shown below;

1st pass (Root Pass) with fuse the tube i-e autogeneous weld.

2nd Pass (Hot pass) with 1.6 mm filler wire

3rd or 4th with 2.4 m filler size.

By qualifying the mock up, welders easily use 1.6mm & 2.4mm filler size as per thier requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back