Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QW-406 PREHEAT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepu78

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2008
AU
QW-406 PREHEAT ASME IX
QW-406.1 states A decrease of more than 100°F (55°C) in the preheat temperature qualified. The minimum temperature for welding shall be specified in the WPS.
What does the "decrease of more than 100°F (55°C)" mean?
ASME IX Table QW-253 this is an essential variable.

Does it mean pre heat of > 100 deg F or 50 Deg C from PQR pre heat temp needs new PQR
DV

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7c45304a-9660-4897-868e-8a91b37185f3&file=Table_QW-253.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steve,
Not sure where the misunderstanding came from.
R6155 has been on a different planet since the start of the post.
With all due respect your post from TWI did not help.
R6155 said:
This is similar to ASME IX ARTICLE V STANDARD WELDING PROCEDURE SPECIFICATIONS (SWPSS)QW-500 to QW-540.
They are not similar and are not even close.
SWPS's are WPS's issued by AWS based on a minimum two up to fifty PQR's qualified by AWS.
A pWPS is a document listing requirements to be followed before the PQR is even qualified.
What if anything is similar ?
Chalk & Cheese ?

For sure, introducing SWPS was going leftfield, but it may have been that r6155 is used to using pWPS prior to qualification (as am I for 36 years for all codes) which is where he might have been going with "you have to have a WPS first".

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

DekDee
1) Try not to be aggressive.
2) Do you think that the hydrostatic pressure test is carried out first and then the calculation of pressure pieces with the adopted thickness?

This is what you are saying by doing the PQR first and then the WPS.

Regards

r6155,
I have followed your posts for the past 2-3 years and 90% of the time you do not offer assistance - you criticise.
What you have contributed to this post is rubbish.
If there was a "Block" option on this forum you would be my first candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back