Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R123 chiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhjo

Computer
Nov 1, 2005
Hi,

I would like to know how big is R123 chiller selling in US? is there any reference about percentage of selling yearly in website?. And how does montreal protocol affect future selling for R123 chiller?.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trane is the last manufacturer selling R123 centrifugals. York stopped sometime last year. I am not sure you will get any accurate information as to how many they sell annualy. I see the specs anymore are requesting high pressure machines.

Some additional information:

Jan 1, 2010: No new R-22 equipment is allowed to be imported or manufactured.

Jan 1, 2020: annual allowable amount of HCFCs reduced by 99.5% except HCFC-123 which can be imported or manufactured until 2030 to service large air conditioning units (chillers)under the remaining .5% allowance. No new HCFC equipment to be manufactured or imported.

January 1, 2030 - HCFCs no longer permitted to be imported or manufactured

You would be able to get new R123 for another 27 years. If I remember correctly you can still use recycled R123 after that date.

Someone feel free to correct me if they have more accurate information but I believe Trane still sells more chillers than anyone else in the US, and a large majority of those are R123 Centrifugals.

I believe that their is only one manufacturer of R123 right now (DuPont). Even though it is legal to make/import for the next 27 years if DuPont decides to quit making it, you may be forced to rely on recycled (high demand). As Trane centrifugals are the only machines using 123 and it's banned in the semi-near future, another company might not be too anxious to pick it up.

I believe Trane will offer a 'refrigerant' guarantee that states they will be able to supply R123 for the life of the chiller.

Also, R123 is a feedstock in the process to produce R125, which is used to produce another refrigerant (I believe R410a) so there is no reason to believe that you won't be able to get R123 in the near future.

Having said that all of my jobs get specified with R134a or other non-HCFC refrigerants.

If it is considered feedstock, are we able to import it as chiller refrigerant after 2030?. Because feedstock uses are not controlled under Montreal protocol. feedstock means chemical is used entirely for manufacturing of other chemical.

R134a also facing global warming issues. Europe committe is preparing draft banning R134a for their automobile aircondition.

One of my friend said R123 Trane chiller still dominate sellers in US. I am not sure about that because most specs is leading to R134a in here. So I am looking for any official information about R123 selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back