Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R134 properties wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

nektarios128

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2006
GR

I want to find a table of the following properties for R134 (saturated liquid) as a function of Temperature.

density [kg/m3]
heat capacity [J/kg K]
viscosity [m2/sec]
thermal conductivity [W / m K]
thermal diffusivity [m2/sec]
Prandtl number
volumetric thermal expansion [1/K]

Book , web , anything....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

National Refrigerants has a site that will list many of these. Also ASHRAE Fundamentals Properties of refrigerants chapter

I'm not a real engineer, but I play one on T.V.
A.J. Gest, York Int./JCI

ASHRAE Fundamentals has R-134A in chapter 20. You will need to convert from english units. Not all of the properties you need are there. There are not thermal diffusivity and volumetric thermal expansion variables. You can calculate the Prandtl number from the other quantities given.

Srfish, nektarios128 asked for R 134, ie, 1,1,2,2-tetrafluoro-ethane. Are its physicochemical properties equal to those of R 134A, ie, 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoro-ethane ?

Nektarios:

Insult2 is correct in referring you to the NIST site. Refrigerant R143A (Ethane, 1,1,1-Trifluoro) thermo data is available free of charge and in detailed, tabular format for downloading into an Excel spreadsheet.

However, you can't have everything you wish for. You will have to calculate your own values for

thermal diffusivity [m2/sec]
Prandtl number
volumetric thermal expansion [1/K]

But how can you justify a complaint?

I have been proposing the use of this website for over 5 years now on this website and I'm still surprised that engineers haven't caught on to how their USA tax money is being spent for their benefit - and it is accurate, authoritative data that you can bank on.

The correct, exact web address for the free NIST database on refrigerants is:

I’ve given the following instructions before many times on this forum, but here goes again:

1) Select the refrigerant (“species”) you want out of the roll-down selection box listing 34 fluids;

2) Select the type of units you want your information in;

3) Select the desired type of data based on one of 5 conditions:

(a) Isothermal properties (constant temperature)
(b) Isobaric properties (constant pressure)
(c) Isochoric properties (constant volume)
(d) Saturation properties — temperature increments
(e) Saturation properties — pressure increments

4) Select “Default for fluid” as the desired standard state convention;

5) Press to continue;

6) Enter your temperature and/or pressure range;

7) Be sure to click on “View data in HTML table” in order to obtain the data in tabular form that can be easily copied and pasted onto a spreadsheet.

8) Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back