Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Race fuel testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamatureracer

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2003
US
I am working with a race group that has mandated the use of one of four specific fuels for a race.Different classes of cars are using different fuels and two leaded racing and two unleaded fuels are specified.
I was looking at using gas chromatography to test and make sure that the fuels are used as they are supplied and not blended or enhanced. The test times for this process is rather long 5-10 minutes and equipment is expensive. I was wondering if there are any tests that are as reliable that would take less time and equipment?
Race organization is currently using a dielectric test and tests for alcohol and specific banned components to test the fuels.
Thank you and have a safe and successful race season.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey
I used to test used engine oils. We used a machine called an FTIR. First we scanned a new oil, then the used oil. The computer would then subtract the two spectra (similar to what you're describing). The resulting graph was a straight line with the contaminants showing up as peaks. The scans took less than 30 seconds. The new oil scans were stored in memory and recalled instantly. The whole process took only a minute or two. We also tested everything from brake fluid to gasoline. The machine was somewhat small and could be used on-site. If you could find a laboratory that does this type of analysis, they might be able to contract out their services for you.

The information has been a big help and I have found a Perkin Elmer 1600 that might work. You don't recall what make or model of equipment you used.
Thanks for your help.

Hi
Yes, that was the machine I used. Don't recall what company supplied the software - some outfit out of Colorado. Their program was a little slow and excessive. Once I learned the commands and language (BASIC), I used a stripped-down version that suited our needs better. If you need any other info, email me. Good luck.

You might investigate refractometry. It can be very sensitive in some cases to picking up impurities, and inexpensive field devices are widely available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back