Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Racing car aerodynamic optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

sierra4000

Automotive
Oct 17, 2013
CZ
Hi All,
some suggestions for aerodynamic optimization?

for more downforce and reduce drag

1233240_547001125353107_483077037_o.jpg

1374081_519541898120691_2064721776_n.jpg

thanks for ideas
Radek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what the rules allow.

If you can, place the wing even higher, add some almost ground rubbing side skirts, a rear diffuser with flat underbody panels elsewhere.
Use taller wind end plates, BTW remove the wing mounts you have and make the end plates the attachment points.

Make some ducts so radiator hot air will exit from either over the hood or behind the rear wheels or both.
Drill some holes or install some louvers so air from the wheel wells will vent up to the hood.
Make it a fastback by moving the rear window further backward and filling the remaining space with either sheetmetal or a 4th window when looking it from the side.

If there are no rules for aero create a vacuum cleaner Chaparral 2J like car
Doing so you'll get insane downforce even when standing still
A so equipped Corvette won a Road&Track skidpad challenge

Be bold

Sierra4000, why no diffuser? That is HUGE for aero drag as well as the entire underside of the car. You are giving away something like a full 0.1 point of CD.

140Airpower - I tried made diffuser (this was very high weight about 20 Kg !!)
I am thinking using side plate (attached picture) with minimal added of weight
what your opinion?
race2_JY76_0.jpg

make a difusor from a lighter material - some plastics, CF, or what yachts are made of (some resin, don't remember the name) can be manually molded into a desired shape.

What are the speeds we are talking here?

Are there any restriction on using other car model? This one will need quite a bit of tinkering!
1. Re-profile curves over the tyres, if tyres cannot be narrower. Front tyre curve seems notorious to me -drag wise!
2. Strip out the rain-stopper strip above the windows. If you are racing, you dont need them!
3. Two front holes, if they are head lights, bring them in forward - in line with the other surfaces. Else fill them or make them thru to tyres, if you have information that ventilation is beneficial at that location.
4. Reduce/remove the hump over the hood or atleast give a cure, instead of current filleted corners.
5. Seal all gaps between surfaces, for example front guard and car body!
6. If its for racing, remove the aft door handles, cover them.
7. Bring the window glass in line with door surface. Or atleast cover the aft window with sheet metal. And remove the protruding black circle.
8. Move up the spoiler, currently its in the wake of car, not sure how effective it actually is.
9. Cover the exposed machinery on either side, below the door.
10......and lots more
What are the considerations? Time/Cost/Car Model?

Regards,
Tejas

Thanks for all proposals!

wing I gradually lowered to reducing drag and improve bottom(rear end) air extracted
because low position still this wing is very effective.

here starting point for rear wing location:

4379428_46118bd44a9477fd99784da3169e3c4c_wm.jpg

That's quite a bit of speed!

There are lot of other things, which you may probably already thinking about:
1. Change wing mirrors in style with new cars. Instead of just a rectangular piece, you can put mirrors from current car variants. Else you can get rid of wing mirrors, can try body mounted camera. You can argue F1 uses rectangular mirrors!
2. If you modify the tyre covers, you will more or less end up with something similar to Beetle car. Not sure, how beautiful it would look thou!
3. The tail end, I believe you are going to cover. Basically, Photo of Car in Wind Tunnel's Brown portion of the body, unless you have some specific reason!

Why not use a front end more like this car:

And eliminate the wheel arch extensions and fit narrower tires like Greg said.
To compromise this redesign the cars bottom to include ground effect (
Properly designed, you can have superior traction at lower speeds as well as reduced drag at higher speeds. This will also give you better acceleration (lowered rotating inertia from thinner wheels and tires)

Cheers,

[peace]
Fe (IronX32)

Thanks for the suggestions,

I have a flat floor - I want slight downward inclination front end body

previously I had an 8 inch wheel width,
after installing these 10 inch wheels, the car improving time approximately around 1 second at 1 km in hill climb technical tracks!
so I'm really do not want to narrow wheels

OK,
can this hole(bumper side output) help air evacuation and further reduce pressure in the under hood
and improve the efficiency my front splitter?

5521999155_b3e4b2326d_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back