Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radan laser software, is it good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My new job may involve using radan software.
Never heard of it before today. The UK website was not very helpfull. I'm wondering what I'm letting myself in for.
As it took from Nov. till July to get a reply; radan software does not seem to be very popular.
Any other users out there?

I have had experience with radan. And I must say it was not pleasant. It has very limited functionality. Manipulation of nests is a nightmare. Could not even move or drag leads on a nest. We had a Trumpf Laser and it could not handle the
many Tech Tables required to run a Trumpf properly.

Gentlemen:

As a Laser Applications Engineer for a Machine Tool Builder I have been priviledged to use a couple of different software packages. One being Metalsoft Fabriwin which has done vast improvements in Laser although its forte is punching, the other being Metamation's MetaCAM which is by far the best Laser software I have used which also supports 5-Axis Cutting, Rotary Axis Cutting, punching, 3-D modeling, Nesting (powerful common line cutting algorithm), Parametric Drawing for HVAC, etc. I have heard good things about Radan from a sotware engineer that has a seat of this product, so I guess it's worth a try. Another decent package that I was given a demo while I was at a Trade Show was Lantek.

Hope this tip helps and does not sound biased.

Regards,

msandoval

yes i also have used radan, although i prefer using armadas combi 5 software. tho the single sheet nesting fuction leaves a lot to be desired.

darren

I've used and still use Radan for 3D CAD and CAM (laser and punch). I've bought their product but I wouldn't describe myself as a big fan.

The 3D CAD side is fast for modelling sheet metal, but hard work for assemblies or non sheet metal items. It really can't be compared with other modern 3D packags (Autodesk Inventor - which Radan Sell or Solidworks).

The new windows interface of the package has reduced the learning curve but as a long term user I've found it hides some of the old manual methods I still need to use.

For programming it's pretty fast, especially for lasers and especially if you aren't really pushing your machine. If you tend to work on similar products and materials you can get the whole process runnning pretty much automatically frorm flat part to programmed nest. Nesting has improved over the years but on a bad day it still can't beat a man, every once is a while we get a part it refuses to nest well. My experience with the post processors is if you are the first to get a post for any machine you are in for a rough ride, and if you don't know exactly what your machine is capable of your might never get the best out of it.

Finally my current biggest gripe is the move to windows brought a loss of stability and every major release still seems to bring in as many bugs as it solves.

Having said all that I have bought it because with a little cursing along the way it works. The convenience of having an end to end package, and a package we can program both our punch and laser on is worth the few problems for us at least. I still haven't found anything better that offers the same functionality.

if all you are looking for is a programming system you can probably do better going to your machine tool supplier, at least they will get the post right first time.

AFAIK Radan remain the market leader in CAD/CAM for sheet metal in the UK, I think the windows version came back out of work they did to try and crack the American market.

We have been usin the radan Smart System with our Mazak laser for a year now. It is simple and quick for new users. I does lack a lot to be desired in the more advanced techniques. We have had very little help from Mazak or radan to help us in the learn more about it. I personally would not recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back