Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon vs geforce - a poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwubs

Industrial
Oct 10, 2002
First, let me say that I KNOW that running SW on a non approved card is NOT a good idea. I know that there can be many problems. Please do not reply about the suitability of running a non approved card or driver, thats not what I'm after in this post.
There, now that I've got that off my chest... I would like to poll the success of running Radeon vs. geforce. We need to buy a laptop that will be running Sw occasionally to review projects on the road. No modelling or rebuilding. Due to the cost (and weight) of a typical workstation laptop,a non Quadro solution is being considered I am asking if you have experience running SW on a laptop with Radeon or geforce graphics to let me know how it worked out.
Thanks very much
p.s. - we use a DELL M90 with good success in our engineering departmant, but it weighs something like 11 lb., so it is not popular for guys to take on travel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LOL - good point macduff. I will suggest that the geforce is the better of two evils. Thanks again to all for your feedback.

Perhaps to late... But i've always ran "Gaming" cards in SW and i've yet to directly relate a SW crash to the graphics system. Its always the none graphics bugs that cause me greif. Also never had any issues graphically either. Call it good luck if you want.. i call it "you're just a sucker to the sales machine". :)

SoftQuadro proved that years ago!

HercalloY - remember that SoftQuadro actually unlocks Quadro type hardware on the Geforce card... Thanks for the feedback.

gwubs, i think you'll find that it was only software/driver related. Hence the ability to get similar performance with software modifications. No hardware was enabled or disabled.

Of course nowadays they limit it in the hardware so its not possible. But the idea still stands.... they make one item and "limit" the drivers to charge more for "Pro OpenGL" features. Makes me sick.

Yep, I've been SoftQuadro'ing for years. Last successful one I've done is of course the 6800 -> FX4000 Nvidia.
Yes, it bothers me also that ATI & Nvidia charge excessively for the Pro cards. They claim they can justify the high price based on the cost of developing PRO/Quadro drivers.
However, it is also true that SolidWorks counts on the approved OpenGL card to run with speed and stability, so the only way to eliminate hardware variables is to run an approved card. On the plus side, you'll notice that Quadro card prices have dropped significantly - 1800 Quadro card is ~$550.00 - bit more than enthusiast gaming card.
Finally, the laptop hunt has reached a happy conclusion with the selection of the THINKPAD W510. It has an available Quadro 880 FX with 1GB of DDR3!

Unfort that may only be the case in the goold ol' you ess of A. But down here we still get ab-so-lutely reamed! Thats another thing that makes no sense (and all the excuses in the world don't justify it). But thats one for another day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back