Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radial Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

al1979

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2012
IN
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to define radial spring i.e. force vs radial defomation feature (like garter spring) between to concentric 3D cylindrical parts separated by 0.2 mm radial clearance in ANSYS workbench environment?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One solution could be to model it as a pipe and calibrate the material properties according to
known force/deflection data.

Hello L_K,
Thank you for your reply. I am not aware of 'pipe' thing in ANSYS, can you please give more references?

Also, can you tell me how to model 3D garter spring? I think, that will help to simulate my problem.

Many Thanks!

Could you fill in the gap between the cylindrical bodies with solid elements and adjust the material properties to give you the right stiffness?

Alternatively, couldn't you model the garter spring spirals with beam elements?

Greetings!

Thanks L_K and flash3780!

To define material properties (deflection vs stress) for spring, we have limited access to this data.
I think, calibrating spring data (material model) for varying dimensions is not practical. So I am trying to find different approach for this.
'Beam Elements' is an interesting suggestion for developing calibration process. Will look into it, thanks!

Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back