Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Radiation heat on stainless steel sheet or tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narel

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2009
FI
Field of nuclear physics is way over my head and I need some information. My guestion is about the heat generated by neutron radiation on a stainless steel tube. How much will a tube say 10mm radius and 0,4mm wall thickness heat with a neutron flux of 10 W/g? The tube is sinked into the water with temperature of 40 celcius and pressure of 2bar. Will this kind of tube heat at all, or is the wall thickness too "small" for the neutron radiation to heat it?

I need this information for steady state heat transfer calculations, and I need to know whether to negligible the effect of neutron radiation and heat caused by it or not. My doubts are now only with the small thicknessess of certain tubes and how will they heat due to neutron radiation. Need your expertise :) Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Is this homework?

2) If not, where is the neutron flux located relative to the tube and the water?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I have following details about the neutron flux:

Neutron fast flux (above 1MeV): 1,9*10^14 n/cm^2/s
Neutron fast flux (above 0,1MeV): 4*10^14 n/cm^2/s
Specific nuclear heating: 10 W/g

The neutron flux is not uniform in the vertical direction of the tube. In other words, the whole stucture I am studying will not have a uniform nuclear heating. I know the z-dependence of nuclear heating, which has form of a curve. I don´t know how to explain this easier.

Because I am studying the heat transfer in the system, I want to know will the certain parts (=tubes) will be heated due to neutron flux or not, and therefore I need to know whether to set any heat flux into these parts for pass calculation.

Narel

I want to know will the certain parts (=tubes) will be heated due to neutron flux or not,

You haven't given anywhere near enough information to provide any more definitive answer than "possibly."

Also you didn't answer my question about homework.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Dear Patricia,

1) No, this is not a homework.

2) Sorry to give you such lack of information, but this all I got at the moment.

3) All I know that the neutron flux is produced in a research reactor. I do not have information about the relative location of the neutron flux to the tube and the water.

-Narel

Narel, Then the previous answer of "possibly" stands.

Patricia Lougheed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back