Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiation interference concern for transmitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicekeywee

Electrical
Nov 8, 2016
NZ
Hi all,

We had a recent concern regarding carrying out radiography around site, whether it will interfere with nearby transmitters.

Has anyone performed any experiments to proof this or any standards or test papers that may address this issue?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Tommy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never given it a thought, perhaps you'll discover a new type of radiation detector.[2thumbsup]

If it's a nucleonic detector (e.g. tracerco, vega, etc) then you will notice the detector going over-range (i.e. in fault due to going out of range) during radiography. The way nucleonic detectors work is there is a source (CS-137) on one side of vessel and the receiver (scintillation crystal based detector) is mounted on other side of vessel. When the vessel liquid is empty, the detector is receiving maximum dose i.e. max no. of counts. As the vessel fills up with liquid, number of counts received by detector is reduced. So the no. of counts is inversely proportional to the level in the vessel. The nucleonic detector would most likely receive extra dose from the radiographic source (whatever you are using) and will make detector go out of range and ESD system will pick this loop in fault (due to being out of range) and will trip the plant. On oil platforms, during radiography we put inhibits or suppression (based upon what's it's called in ESD system) during radiography. During this operation, the control room operator will be extra vigilant to control the vessel level in case there is genuine need to shut the plant down.

Now this issue is only applicable to nucleonic detectors technology. As far as non-nucleonic detectors are concerned (e.g. GWR, displacer, radar, etc), as far as I know from my experience, these don't get affected during radiography which makes sense as these are non-nucleonic.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back