Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radio Controlled Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojniemin

Electrical
Nov 28, 2001
SE
Anyone has experience of radio controlled switches? I intend to design a circuit able to switch on/off 230V equipment remotely (mainly thinking of turning on the sauna without taking those 100 steps needed). Any good schematics on the web? This should work up to 100m free space.

What about the legacy of such switches if used only privately?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there,

The wireless frequency and power limitations depend on your country.

In the US, do a google search for "bluetooth" and you'll find about a zillion entries. If you want to build your own, in the ISM band, contact Axonn or Kele for some modular components with the software already done.

Or, (and I've done this one before for cheap), get a garage door opener transmitter and receiver and add a latching contactor to the receiver end. You should be able to get a transmitter and a bare-board receiver from somebody who offers repair parts for Genie or Chamberlain garage door openers (Sears is one good source, usually the stuff's on the shelf).

Best wishes with your project!

Old Dave

Thanks DRWeig! Sure your approach is the easiest, fastest and maybe the cheapest but I would actually like to start from the scratch. Anybody knows schematics...?

If you have an R/C car, pull the receiver out and use it with the following circuit:
I built one and it works fine. I added an output inversion switch to mine.

Also, 2 weeks back, Target had a GE keychain remote unit with a plug in receiver for $9! I bought 3, am using 2, am re-engineering the third. They use Princeton's encoder and Micrel's QwikRadio receiver/demod. Man, you can't even get the components for $9! Their reg price is ~$15-17.

has some remote gear as well, I think up to 8 chan, the set is around $40 (??)...

I'm with you brother. If I have to choose between pushing a button and taking a walk, it's push push push :).
Foxfur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back