Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radio Frequency Data Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfidp

Electrical
Nov 24, 2002
US
Hi everyone:

I'm involved in a project in which a reader with an antenna receives an RF signal from a transponder. The reader then converts the signal into ASCII data and sends the data to an UART device which is interfaced to a PC via the RS232 serial port to process the information.

My question is this:
What do I need to do to grab that data and send it to a database, preferably Microsoft Access, to monitor and manage the data? For example, at what time did data arrive, etc.

I'm using Visual Basic 6.0 for this project.

Extra information:
Baud Rate: 9600
Data length from transponder: 10 bits (1 start bit, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity)

Anybody's help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To capture your data, use the MSComm control (it's in MSCOMM32.OCX)

The MSCOMM control example in VBHelp gives full info on events and properties to capture your data.

Use ADO to open your database (see ADO Help)

Use the Now() function to return current machine date & time

Hi,

You give the properties only to the Mscomm control, rightnow you have to program the event Oncomm of that control, using select case with the variable commevent and in the case use number 2, use the Input property to capture the info, once do it, you must to store the data in a variable, use this variable to make the arrangement with a database.

Use the commands to access the database, if you need the sentences to use the MScomm control and the databases please confirm to me.

Fernando Sánchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back