Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radioactive Level Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGMurphy

Petroleum
Feb 21, 2003
GB
I want to measure the continous level of HF Acid in a 10m high vessel. I have to use a radioactive level measurement device as they are the only type to be completley non-contact. Can anyone recommend a Radioactive level device?

So far I have only came across the models from Ohmart-Vega, E+H and Berthold

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its pure HF Acid, the temperature range of the vessel is -15degC to 120degC and the max pressure is 18.5barg. The wall material is killed carbon steel (21mm thick. The range is 9.1m. No set accuracy, but as good as possible.

The vessel is already constructed, we are currently using a hybred device which is a Berthold Nucleonic Density measurement device connected to a Enraf servo motor. This has made for an interace profiler, we no longer require the profile option and the device needs scrapping due to mechanical failure.

Hi Murphy,

You can definately use radioactive level measurement for continuos level measurement .You can use CS-137 source and detector .Since the height is 10 M ,you may have to use 2 sources since there is beam angle limiation .

The vendors indicated by you are very renowned in this field .You may have to furnish the vessel drawing and the layout to the vendors for proper selection of the instrument .

Hope this info helps you .

Thanks.

If you are looking at non-invasive technology, couldn't you also try an ultrasonic or radar mounted at the top of the tank?

I've never had to specify anything in HF service, however I know how nasty it can be.

How about a guided wave radar? Calibration is relatively simple, the wave guide is standard 316 SST (I'm sure they probably make it in more exotic material). I think you can even get an interface off of it if you ever need it again.

I know that Magnetrol makes a good one, I believe it's their "eclipse" series.

- If you think this isn't an option, let me know why so that I know what I should consider should I ever need to specify a level instrument in HF service.

--Igor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back