Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Radiographic and Ultrasonic Testing of Thick Section Sand Castings

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcanhammer

Geotechnical
Jun 17, 2005
US
I am currently involved in a project which involves a large (> 10,000 lb) steel sand casting for a pile driving accessory for this type of equipment:

The casting has section thicknesses of 2 1/2" and upward. It is being produced in ASTM A148 Gr. 90-60.

The end user has specified that the entire casting (which is approx. 75" x 75") be subject to radiographic testing.

My experience with this type of casting is that radiographic testing is not as effective with thick sections as, say, ultrasonic testing. But then again the ability to analyse the results has doubtless improved in recent years.

It's possible to UT the critical sections because they will be machined first (my experience is that as-cast surfaces don't UT very well, either.)

Is my thinking wrong here? In the past my experience has been to acquire castings with neither of these tests performed. But perhaps the advance in testing and data analysis techniques have changed the situation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your thinkung is right,but if your customer prevails,you need to go for Co60 source. In India,waiting period for this source is long and the charges are steep as there are a few cameras and also the source storage and radiography room need special construction.

Machining,UT will normally suffice for such general purpose castings.

A tougher challenge will be to ensure 90/60 grade in the thick section region. how will you achieve and ensure that it conforms?

If you think education is expensive, try Ignorance.
- Andy McIntyre

It is possible to UT castings. We allow full submersion UT testing of both carbon and alloy castings. You need to make sure the vendor can demonstrate the capability.

Thanks much for your responses.

I am aware of the effect of the thick section, but even with the degradation associated with that experience has shown that the effect of the alloy is still beneficial in this application (not always, but in cases such as this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back