Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Railway Wheel material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalves

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2006
PT
Hi,
I am designing a railway trailer to cary an escavator; the trailer will feature 8 wheels (diameter= 400 mm), each wheel carrying a load of:
7 ton (working rolling load);
14 ton (static load) when loading/unloading the escavator; Trailer maximum speed=20km/h.
Concerning the wheels (my big problem) i think the best/cheap way will be cast steel and then machined. However, I don't know what is the best material to use, neither the casting companys i've contact could tell me.

what material should i specify that best suites this kind of aplications?

thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any medium carbon steel material grade material 4140 or 4340 with flame hardening .

A number of foundries must be doing these castings routinely.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Edison

You should be able to buy small railway wheels right off the shelf. Barring that, forged and rough turned 1045 is commonly available up to 24 inches diameter. You can buy the sawn blanks and have a turning shop finish them out, and flame harden as necessary.

nalves;
Are you familar with rairoad truck and carrier designs? As an example, I would suggest you take a look at the web site below from Griffin Wheels in the USA. We use them for our rail coal cars. You should use a wheel design that is proven and compatible with the rail system at your location - domestic or other location.

may be u can try 65Mn(chinese trade mark,i don't konw the USA trade mark).and with flame hardening or induction hardening.
the workpiece needs to be thermal refining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back