Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rain water for gray water use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfopiso

Electrical
Jan 20, 2003
US
hello all,

any opinion in using rain water for gray water use (eg. toilet flush, watering garden) in commercial/office buildings.

does it need treatment first before using (like in STP)?

thanks in advance for all your feedback

dave.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The treatment standards for rainwater typically come from local health departments - if there are national standards I've not been able to find them. For indoor non-potable use typically the rainwater is filtered prior to being put into the distribution system, which is often must be labeled as Non-Potable Rainwater. Many jurisdictions require signs "Non-potable - Do not drink"; I've seen these hung in the bathrooms above each toilet (regulations going too far, if you ask me). Disinfection is likely to be a requirement for indoor uses.

For outdoor irrigation, filtration is desirable to protect emitter heads from clogging. I've had jurisdictions require disinfection, although some don't require it for drip irrigation, only for spray irrigation.

my dog drinks rainwater out of the gutter in the street all the time, prefers it to the clean stuff in his bowl...

cvg (Civil/Environme) 2 Apr 08 13:34
my dog drinks rainwater out of the gutter in the street all the time, prefers it to the clean stuff in his bowl...

Probably as it is not loaded with chemicals used in the treatment plants.

thanks to all,
We are in property development and support initiatives to conserve electricity and water. So in our current planning we are considering using rain water as "gray water" but so far still undecided on a system to use it.
dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back