Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Raise promised, but never given... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I work at a small engineering company, I'm the head electrical engineer over a few people. I oversee every electrical aspect of all of our projects from start to finish. I work more hours than anyone in our office (ten people), including the company owner, primarly because I'm the only experienced EE, so it is up to me to make sure everything is taken care of on the electrical side of our projects. I work until 6PM every day, while the rest of the office clears out pretty much at 5PM sharp. I work weekends when necessary, put in extra effort to make sure our clients are happy, and have never had a substantial error in my work. Basically I'm saying I put a lot of effort into my work.

At my previous job, I received two or three raises a year, every year, without ever mentioning it. Every raise was a surprise. Nearly six weeks ago, I asked my boss for a raise, my first one since I've been with the company (I've been here almost two years). He immediately and enthusiastically agreed to the raise ("Sure! We can do that"). At the same time, I asked if there was anything with my performance that I should improve, or if there is anything at all I should be doing different. He said "no, not at all". But now, three pay periods later, nothing has happened. I've been told by one of the higher mechanical engineers that this is typical.

What frustrates me the most is not the money (it is maybe $180 take-home per month, not life changing). The problem is, I feel like I've been lied to, and in my opinion it is just plain insulting to tell someone they are going to get a raise, then never follow through. It is just a slap in the face. I never hesitate to put in extra hours when anything needs to get done, and only 3-4 of my unpaid overtime hours would more than pay for what I requested. I work more extra hours than that every week. Honestly, in my opinion, it equates to theft, since we had an agreement. It is no different than if I agreed to work 8-5 every day, but leave at 4.

I don't believe he has simply forgotten, since I've been told this is status quo when a raise is requested (before I ever asked). I also know that financially, it isn't a problem for the company.

How would you approach this situation with your boss? Other than this issue, our relationship is friendly, and always has been. I really feel like telling him basically what I said above, that it is insulting to me since we had an agreement but he didn't follow through, although I know that is probably not the best course of action.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask him why you hae not gotten the raise. If he does what he has to and gets the raise, great. Remember, after 2 years, you had to ask him for a raise, and then chase it.
If not move on. Don't pin your hopes on the owner selling you a share in the company. He has not talked to you about it and thigs happen. If you are local when he retires, you probably still have an excellent chance of buying a share then. In the mean time get a job with a real boss because it does not appear your efforts are appreciated where you are. (by the way, when you get that big project taken care of for that client, who do you think your boss gives the credit to -you or him? my money is on him) There is a saying that you should never teach a pig to sing - you waste your time and annoy the pig.

It sounds like the first company you worked for was pretty good. Why did you leave the first company? A big increase for jumping ship? I worked for a small firm much like yours and the owner talked about how he saw a future partnership with me. We spoke of it on a couple of occasions. Also, getting increases in pay to the going rate at that company was like pulling teeth. I saw the writing on the wall. No future. When I put my notice in to leave, do you think my boss asked me about the future partnership plan and why I would leave that behind? Of course not, because there was no future partnership plan. He was blowing smoke. My advice to you: Don't bank on his promise of partnership and except less now because of it. Get paid the going rate that you deserve for your skills now because if you have to hold your breath to become a partner, YOU'LL DIE! Just my 2 cents and experience. Good luck my friend.

Ive heard of this before, a company will offer you a big raise for moving to them and then will try to make up for it by not giving you a raise for the next couple of years. Perhaps this is what your boss is doing.

Don't immediately assume the worst; even bosses have human attributes including a tendency to deal with what is prominent and to neglect that which isn't in their face all the time.

Hence Beggar has it right; have a friendly word and don't make it an "issue" until you know if it is an "issue". He may just have forgotten or be waiting for you to take the initiative.

This assumes your working relationship is good and justifies you in believing he is in earnest about part ownership.
In other words, if it is honest then he will have no problem discussing it with you.
SO go talk and gauge his reaction.

If you aren't comforatble dealing with this issue with him then it doesn't bode well for a future relationship as part owner.
You also cannot afford to let things slide or show any hesitancy dealing with this issue.

#Bottom line, if you don't ask, you don't get and if you don't ask, he may wonder why and how committed you are....

ALways keep you CV/Resume out there if for no other reasons than to have a good idea of your value and to have the option to start over.

JMW

Hello JigaWatt,

You probably already thought of this, but just in case...

If there was a valid reason for the delay, it was up to your boss to come up to you and discuss this. For example, "hey listen, we had a problem with so and so... and you will not see the raise until next month."

Also, the raise should be retroactive, that means it should include the last few weeks (or from the moment you agreed on the raise).

I think we all agree that you need to talk to the boss. But if your gut tells you this was not a paperwork delay, this may be only the beginning of a series of problems.

Good luck,

Jiga

Let me put this idea of partial ownership out of your mind. Let's say that he gives or sells you 5% ownership. This year the company makes $100 k. So the boss gives himself a $90k bonus (he decides bonuses, he has got controlling interest). Now the profit is down to $10k, and your dividend is $500. Not a very good return on your investment. Also, regarding your statement that the only people he can sell to are his PE's, think again. Sole proprietorships have a habit ending up in the hands of wives, idiot son's, or being bought out by big competitors.

I'll be very interested in hearing what he tells you when you ask about your raise. If he is apologetic, and compensates retroactively, that says one thing. If it's another story, (we don't have the money right now, we're working on changing the payroll system, a customer hasn't paid, etc.), that says another.

My guess, from the limited info provided, is that he going to simply agree again to the raise, and not give an explanation. If he does, I urge you to clarify with him the effective date as being when he initially agreed. Not only will you get the $$ he agreed to, but then the clock for the next raise will start running from the original date.

I have to agree with those that suggest an emailed reminder. Stewing in your own juices isn't doing anyone any good. I think your getting riled up at an honest mistake.

-b

Nothing wrong with face-to-face, but he's not asking for a raise, it's already been agreed to. He just needs to give his boss a reminder. Presuming that the boss left their earlier meeting with the same agreement that he did, an email that the boss can forward to the accountant is all that's necessary.

I would actually recommmend that JigaWatt avoid a face to face if he's going to take his resentment in with him. If he's already been stewing for three pay periods, then it might be hard to leave that at the door and keep it "light and casual".

-b

Face to face is better. However, companies often do not process increases at the drop of a hat. Even small companies may require a few months to handle a raise except in special situations.

In my location, during the era more than three years ago raises were annual at best, if you got one. However, the market is very hot in Houston. People and get a raise without any problem. Many people interview, get an offer then negotiate with the boss. I recommend against this. Two raises per year are common here these days. Three would be unusual.

you started about 5 years ago at $40,000. You have gotten approx 5 - 6 raises totalling about 25%. So you are now making about $50,000 and you are unhappy that you haven't gotten any more. I agree that you should have at least gotten a cost of living increase within a year of starting your new job. That would be about3 - 5% so you should be at about $52,000. A merit raise wouldn't be unheard of either at your level, perhaps another 5% per year. You shouldn't have to ask and your boss should either give you the raise each year or explain why you aren't getting one. Regarding the ownership, I wouldn't expect that with only 5 years experience. Within 10 years, you should expect to be offered the opportunity to purchase stock (or perhaps, be offered stock in exchange for pay). But don't count on having enough stock to control the company any time soon. Unfortunately, you went nearly two years without mentioning the raise. Your boss does not respect you or you would have gotten it sooner. Ask him to pay up or submit your resignation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back