Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Raises? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDAA

Geotechnical
Jul 28, 2005
US
So, just a quick poll, How mny got raises this year, in this economic climate?

My company is not doing any raises for anyone, including me, of course? This goes for the people working for me.

Some are hapy to just have a job at this point, others want to see an increase that the profit (loss) does not seem to be able to support.

So, how about you?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Waiting until November for my 1 year review. Basically on pins & needles at this point due to:

1) I'm getting paid very poorly for an entry level electrical engineer ($20/hr).
2) I've quickly realized that I'm essentially spinning my wheels financially on my current pay.
3) My company is eliminating overtime rates for contract employees (this will be interesting, though, as I'm one of maybe 2 or 3 people out of 70+ that know this is going to happen).

My company has been doing very well (natural gas) and I've worked on some high-level projects so I'm hoping for something significant. Considering that I'm a contract employee (and therefore get almost no benefits) I really should be getting something like a 50% raise to make up for how badly I'm getting shafted right now, but realistically I'll be very surprised if I even get as much as a 20% raise.

Greg,

I'm seriously considering looking for something else if I don't get a decent raise, I just wish it didn't have to come to that. It was hard enough just getting this entry level engineering job, it's not going to be much easier with just one year of experience.

StressGuy,

I almost wanted to ask who is your employer, if I can, because I am also in a Houston company serving oil & gas industries.

I guess I have waited too long on this thread to share my situation. I have been on this job for 3 years with B reviews all three years, but only got 4% increase once. So I am earning a lot less than what I started with even with tremendously increased responsibilies. Note, our company is making record high profit every year.

Regarding to starting salary for new grad students. My impression is about 65K for master and 75 for Ph.D. 90K is really high for me to believe.

I do love what I am doing, but also periodically when I think about my financial compensatio, I am so so so ready to leave.

So look elsewhere. The job opportunities in Houston are ridiculously prevalent for most in oil & gas. Screw getting underpaid. Ask for a raise.

My problem is that as a foreign people, I need visa sponsorship and English isn't my first language. I can barely manage to communicate OK with daily work, but always no good at interviews and bargain on salary. I have put my resume out for sometime, and got a lot of phone calls from recruiters. But usually after I told them I need visa sponsorship, no more follow-up. Somehow I said to my boss's boss once because I couldn't get raise from my direct boss that I will be looking for better opportunties somewhere else if no change on my salary. He said you can do for your best interest, still no change. It is several months later now, I am still here. So managers must know that I can't find anything better and I have to stay.

Really if I have no visa concern, I would have been gone a long time ago even though I got no offer on hand. But because of visa, I have to have a work to be legal in US.

nothing, neither raise nor bonus.

but, seeing as how I still have a job in this homebuilding economy, I am actually grateful!

0%

I've even gotten my PE since my last raise.

Rumor is that they are waiting for the Union contract to be settled before the salery folk get their raise. Contract is up at the end of July. I work in the steel industry as an Electrical Engineer.

The Union got a raise. So all the salaried folks got theirs, retroactive from normal raise time. Should I be pissed at a 2.5% raise in a year that I got my PE? The PE was something that my managers wanted me to get. I think I'm making about 15K less than my potential. That makes me not want to work here.

Only 2.5 when you got yoru PE, and I assume your business effectively requires you to have PE to progress.

So yeah, I'd be upset. If your sector is affected by the current economic down turn that may be a partial reason but at the end of the day if you aint happy, vote with your feet.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

We all got a 2% raise for this fiscal year. Not quite half the rate of inflation. All hail the powers that be. Some years we don't get any.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

HgTx,

The minute that hit my desk I would be on the web looking for somewhere else!

Your skills and productivity increase with experience so your salary should also (in real terms).

I've received three raises in the last two years, 8.9%, 8.1%, and 7.6%.

I work in South Louisiana and most of the work we do is related to oil and gas.

Out of interest, but a bit off topic, does the union actually add much benefit to you?

In retail it cost far more than it was worth. In the UK my Dads post office union is kind of lame. However, my wifes union, while not fantastic is very cheap so good value all in all.

Kenat
Some wisdom there, but it didn't mention many of the 72 or so advantages of a big pay packet.

Back to personal raises; I just got 7.5%, but no bonus this year.
This is on the back of a 13% increase in charge-out fees and very healthy profits, so I'm not particularly impressed. I'm on the look-out for other opportunities but the market is not large in a provincial city.

I didn't say I agreed with all of it etc. Just thought it vaguely relevant.

As to the OP, or at least the bonus part:

I also got a small (by the time the IRS took their cut, very small) financial reward a few weeks back for doing a sizeable CAD data transfer for a major new product, working extra hours in the evenings/nights doing it so as not to disrupt Engineers working on it in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.