Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Raises? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDAA

Geotechnical
Jul 28, 2005
US
So, just a quick poll, How mny got raises this year, in this economic climate?

My company is not doing any raises for anyone, including me, of course? This goes for the people working for me.

Some are hapy to just have a job at this point, others want to see an increase that the profit (loss) does not seem to be able to support.

So, how about you?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

0%

I've even gotten my PE since my last raise.

Rumor is that they are waiting for the Union contract to be settled before the salery folk get their raise. Contract is up at the end of July. I work in the steel industry as an Electrical Engineer.

7.7% here. Should be happy, but I'm still $6000 behind the lowest paid person working FOR me. It appears company pays on years of experience and age, not what you actually do. (Must. . .restrain . . .self. . .from. . .rant)

4% and modest bonus - coorporate wouldn't approve any more

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Review and raises once a year. They offered me 1% last year after an "outstanding" review (what a demotivator...) I complained that this did not even keep up with inflation so they gave me about 7%. I am in O&G with hourly fee structures.

Inflation, which is based on the Consumer Price Index, is around 4%/year now based on fuel costs (used to be about 3%/year). You should point this out to your boss and ask them what percentage of a raise is based on a cost of living adjustment and what percentage of a raise is based on merit.

5% this year, it was 4 months late, but was paid retroactive to my start date. Had a $5k bonus early in the year and will probably be getting a 15%-20% bonus later this year.

Business is good...... at least here :)

Wayne

First day of new FY today but no news of salary changes yet. I have no idea whether I earn more, less, or the same as yesterday. Am expecting RPI (inflation excluding all the things that have actually increased over the year).

- Steve

I got a 5% raise this year. I was disappointed with that. I got almost 10% last year, but my boss said that was because they typically start someone with a BS only a couple thousand below someone with a masters and they felt my knowledge base and understanding was at least on par with someone with a masters so that wanted to make up for that. Whether that's hogwash to account for getting a lower raise this year (despite a glowing review) or not, I don't know.

What kind of bonuses does everyone else get? I've gotten a little better than 1k for the first two years. That was pretty cool at first (I'd never gotten a bonus before), but it really doesn't seem like much now. I guess I shouldn't complain...... it IS better than nothing, I'm just wondering what others get.

current job about 15-18%, depending on company and division performance (could go as low as 0% and as high as 40%).

last job, about nothing, no matter how good the results were. There was one year that was better than the rest, but all of my bonuses there put together don't add up to a quarter of a single-year bonus at the current job.

No bonuses here (actually ever in my career) but we're at 6-month raises of 4% - 8% because of the thieving climate between the local competing companies.

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

Bonuses, ha!

We used to have one site and one bonus based on company profits (by definition, the profit made by that one site). The formula was simple and open.

When we branched out and opened offices overseas, the overseas sites were loss-making to start with, by design. So they got no bonuses. So the management concocted some kind of bonus scheme based on performance against targets, with global and local elements. It had no direct link to profit.

This new scheme became a farce. The amount was arbitrarily decided each year. Then it became clear that not only had the method for choosing the size of the cake changed, the method for slicing it up had changed too. Managers got twice what regular employees got and directors got five times. So when we last got a serious bonus (7% of salary), my manager got 14% and his boss got 35%.

Then senior management decided this whole bonus charade was bad for morale and decided to stop the scheme for regular employees. Managers and directors would still be eligible for bonuses, but only if they met "really hard" targets. The targets were/are never published; the bonuses are secret.

What a morale boost for the rest of us!

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.