Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Advanse Shell Analysis for Steel Plate - No error message but stresses not correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT999

Structural
Oct 3, 2002
US
I am modelling a theoretical 2 ft square steel plate to see how it works, and not getting good results.

I have created a shell, segmented it to 16 pieces, gave it 1/4" thickness, added pressure load, provided restraints at 4 corner, and added pressure load to the load condition equations.

It runs without errors, but the results are always 6.94 E -11, no matter if I increase the pressure or not.

What I do see is that a pressure load entered for a specific load (say snow load) appears OK, but in the summary equation for cases
Lets say Case 1 = DL + SNOW, the same load appears as zero.

So - I must be missing something.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7263bb0f-ec7b-4f1a-a451-00c5165c9615&file=Plate_1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking at on-screen results (view menu) or printed output? Which kind of stress are you showing? I have a feeling it's just a matter of toggling the selected type of stress to show signma-11 or signma-33 if you are looking at results on-screen. Don't use the Env or Max sub options either. Printed results are my preference when scrutinizing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back