Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RAM Advanse 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdi12

Structural
Jul 1, 2006
I am planning to buy a structural analysis package and I am considering RAM Advanse. Comments from current experienced users would be appreciated.
IV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use some RAM products but not Advanse. This is a relatively new program compared with some others out there so I'm not sure how developed, user friendly, etc. it is.

Here's a list of previous threads that discussed software and RAM Advanse in particular:

thread507-157098
thread507-133328
thread507-86224
thread507-14239
thread507-601

Have had RAM Advanse and RAM Structural System for 5 years. Thumbs up for both. Recommend you go with the tutorial and evaluation copy both of which are offered free of charge prior to sale. I also still use STAAD. STAAD is becoming more user friendly and is still a good piece of software. RAM offers better customer service. Other thoughts about strutural software, try and get a sense of what they plan to do in the future. Will the software be part of the BIM trend? There are differing philosophies on how a particular piece of software will be a part of this coming integration of design.

I have tried the evaluation copy of Ram Advanse and have been through a web tutorial with one of the RAM representatives. The spreadsheet based input was not as friendly as the graphical input of STAAD. If you are not looking for integration with Ram Structural Systems or other RAM products, I would opt for STAAD. STAAD is powerful and has a longer learning curve, but once you are comfortable with the parts applicable to your discipline (bridges, buildings, etc.), it's comfortable.

I do have to agree with SperlingPE that RAM offers better customer service than STAAD. Also, the STAAD manuals are typically of little help. The examples show some practical use, but overall the printed material is a disappointment.

Have using a few programs here is my thoughts.

STAAD is great, but to me the hardest to learn and utilize. It is very powerful, but not as user friendly. In my opinion, STAAD is best learned from people that use it everyday, and not through tutorials or manuals.

RISA is probably the easiest to use, and would recommend it if you did not want to do very complex structures, or did not want to integrate it as RAM Advanse.

RAM Advanse I feel is in the middle; it is more user friendly than STAAD, but not as much as RISA. That said it is pretty easy to maneuver and get good numbers. RAM customer service is by far the best I have seen out of any programs I have used. It is also good because it can integrate with Structural Systems (which I really like).

So, for a simple stand alone program I would use RISA, but if you want to integrate it later with a bigger system and need good customer service to help you figure out the programs I would use RAM Advanse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back