Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ram Elements Version 11 - Unbraced Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcc202

Structural
Jan 15, 2009
US
Version 11 of Elements revised how unbraced lengths (Lb, L33, L22) were input. The sum of unbraced lengths must now match the totla length of the segment. This is very frustrating to me and it makes it very difficult for modeling. Has anyone had any similar issues with this? What are the work arounds? Is there a convient way of assigning something as fully braced?

Not to mention, it is now impossible to run older models without updating every member.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to Ram tech support, "the limitations with unbraced lengths in v11 will be addressed in the next patch (month or so). It currently is not possible to assign an unbraced length greater or less than the physical length of the member or multiple unbraced lengths that do not sum to the physical length. If you are unable to work with the current limitations, then I would reinstall v10.7.1."

I think they have button that allows you automatically call for a certain of equal spaces of bracing along a member.

It is definitely a royal pain if you have an in-progress model that was started in the older version and then you switch to the latest version unaware of this obstacle. You are basically forced to re-assign all your beam bracing.

[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back