Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random errors - save to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbpmc

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2010
US
I've done search and didn't come across any similar issues. I occasionally get errors using Save to PDF. Most of the issues involve certain views of the drawing being omitted. On one occasion I got a gross error where the section views located in completely different areas of the drawing. In another occasion the main drawing view ( in which other section views were pulled from ) didn't show at all ( only the dimensions )...but the section views were fine. These drawings usually involved sweeps if that's clue to anyone. One was a swept spring with lots of geometry behind it. Another one involved a tapered helical sweep. Another aspect might have involved having a part sketch being shown such as a construction line being used for a reference. One seemed to correct itself after a video card driver update. We use PDF format for our Doc Control and I don't always catch the errors...it's been a little embarrassing at times. Using Solidworks 2010 (SP5 )basic core version.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We had this on some drawings that were issued to a customer...

1. what program are you using to convert to pdf? We've had success with 'cute pdf' but not others.

2. We also found that the person doing the pdf'ing was doing it at lightning speed - literally, openhitctrl+penterclose (that's typed as if it was done fast ;) ) and things weren't being properly generated before the print.

Hope this helps.

Tommy.

I doing this directly through Solidworks " Save as PDF " dialogue. I've never used a 3rd party software for this, not really sure how to work through a 3rd party software. It's one of those things that works generally quite well... until it doesn't and you've sent off bad drawings to a customer.

Save as... PDF is less stable and Printing to PDF. What I've noticed is similar to above, being if you are moving too fast for the software, the PDF save as driver will skip stuff. I've particular noticed this when moving between programs while the Save As function is saving.

I recommend using Print to PDF. You'll need a printer driver, such as CutePDF also mentioned above, unless you have Adobe Acrobat Standard (or above) installed on your system.

However, Printing is not perfect either. ALWAYS check your PDF before commiting to use it.

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion
Follow me on Twitter

I recommend using Matt's Print to PDF as well. I can't live without it! lol!

Actually, I use it so much I have it in my toolbar using the Customize macro Button. See attached

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=812e2e36-e99d-478d-a582-a9a4abfe9b00&file=save_as_pdf.jpg
does this work with windows 7?

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell T5500 XP Pro SP 3 (32-bit)
Xeon CPU 2.53 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back