Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ranging using radio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroclone

Aerospace
Nov 17, 2001
US
Hello. I am fairly new at the whole circuits thing, I'm trying to get into using microcontrollers and such to control everyday applications and what not. I do have an engineering degree but my 3 credit class in engineering instrumentation didn't prepare me for everything I want to know.

I was wondering if it's possible to send out a radio signal that is recieved by a reciever and then sent back to the original transmitter for purposes of getting range? I know it's possible because that's sort of how RADAR works, but I want the return signal to be able to be processed in order to determine what the range is for a given object in a field of say 20 or 30 objects. I know there are addressing issues and stuff like that, that's fine. I'll deal with that later. Right now I'm just looking for the basics at sending out a pulse and having one sent back so that the reciever knows the time of flight and what object sent it.
Hope this isn't too confusing.
T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh my goodness, PRS encoding relies on Shannon theory and everything else acording to Google. I think I have to hit the hay at that. Im going to get back to this tommorow.

Thank you guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back