Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rapid dimension - decimal place and numberic keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANox

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2007
PL
We start used NX9 and I know we don't like rapid dimension.
We know that this is a great solution, especially for us, so as to facilitate our work bigsmile. More clicker, work quicker.
Is it possibility to back to select decimal place for dimension with numberic keypad?
We use decimal place for simply tolerance:
- two decimal place - dimension with tolerance +/-0.01
- one decimal place - dimesion with tolerance +/-0.1
- no decimal place - dimension with tolerance +/-1
For special tolerance we use others case of tolerance.
In all previous version that's was simple: I select edges for dimension, use numebric keypad for select decimal place (for 0 to 6) and select place for dimension. That's all.
Now, I must select edges, wait for key on screen, select key, select dimension text, select decimal place, deselect key and select place for dimension. It's stupid.
My boss will ask me why I longer make documentation. I have a new version of program with "Rapid dimensioning".
You can much bad to say about "rapid dimension", but it is my point of view is the worst. Who came up with that name? Master of Marketing? It should be called "A slow dimensioning" or "snail-dimensioning".
Mayby it's possible turn on "Normal dimensioning"?

Best regards
Michał Nowak

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=be72e1d4-3767-4c82-b5fb-f17dff2b496d&file=NX7.5.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i have to admit i agree with you, it is not a step in the "rapid" direction.
Placing dimensions on a real part in NX9 takes longer time than in NX8.5
I hope there is a fix in the works, else my users will dip me in tar and feathers...

Regards,
Tomas

Are you referring to what happens if you zoom-in while inside of a Dimension dialog and then you either cancel the dialog or select another dimension type?

Note that this only appears to be happening if you don't actually create a dimension while you were zoomed-in. If you create a dimension then it seems to not resize the display when you close the dialog or select another dimension type. And it's not doing a complete 'Fit' operation, it simply going back to what the display size was when you opened the dialog. In other words, if you were already zoomed-in and you open one of the dimensioning dialogs and then you zoomed further in and then closed the dialog it only moves back to the size when the dialog was opened. In fact, if you zoomed-out while the dialog was open, it would zoom back in when you closed it. And you're right, this didn't happen in NX 8.5 or older versions (at least none that I've checked).

Now I'm not saying that this isn't a problem. I just showed this to one of the drafting development managers and it's the first time he's heard of it (there doesn't seem to be any PR's open for this at the moment) but I showed him what I discovered, as described above, and he asked me to open a PR, which I'm going to do and if I learn anything I pass it along. I suspect that the reason why no one caught this in beta testing was because the testers probably created a dimension while zoomed-in and so never saw this odd behavior.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Since NX is working as intended, there is nothing to 'fix' in this area. Therefore the next version of NX will work the same as it did in NX 9.0. Now if you would like us to consider making a change to this behavior, please contact GTAC and have them open an ER (Enhancement Request) to that effect.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I also hate this Really A Pain In D'ass function. It just doesn't work well. Why do they include such bad new functions in NX? Just to have something new?
- I cannot move the dimension when the dialog is open when dimensioning a circle because it likes to select a second object;
- It takes angular dimension when I need normal and visa versa
- Why is there a dialog at all and why can I not close it with MB2
- How can I get an M close for the number with threadholes

It already took much time in NX to make drawings but now even longer. I'm surprised that it still doesn't recognize thread holes by itself. 6 years ago I used it already in inventor. just 1 click for thread size, thread depth, hole size and hole depth.

Michel

I use NX8.5
HP Z600 Intel Xeon E5520 2.27GHz Dual
Quadro FX 3800 5GB
9GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

Groeten, Michel

A leading Dutch institute in atomic and subatomic physics

Note that for most of your issues, if you feel that way about them, please contact GTAC and have them open ER's requesting that they be changed. As for the Angular Dimension issue, there are some issues with that which are being addressed (I've written PR's myself with respect to problems getting angular versus linear dimensions when selecting centerline symbols and this is being addressed).

As for annotating threaded holes, or for that matter, any hole feature, please use the 'Radial' dimension function using the 'Measurement' Method 'Hole Callout'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Ok, I found the new hole callout command, that looks nice. Strange that it is a little bit hided and not imbedded in the rapid dimension command.

I use NX9.0.0.19
HP Z420 Intel Xeon 3.2GHz
Quadro K4000 3GB
64GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

Groeten, Michel

A leading Dutch institute in atomic and subatomic physics

Also the fact that you can't use the alternate dimension style when dimensioning a slot ... only available with Linear.

NX 6.0.5.3, NX 9.0.2.5
NX 10 (Testing)
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back