Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rat urine corroded steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricckk

Automotive
May 8, 2006
US
Yes, I AM VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY ANGRY!!! Somehow a rat got into where I had one of my PRIZED rifles stashed. (yes, the rifle was stored horizontally instead of vertically). BIG MISTAKE!! On my behalf. The RAT made a nice comfortable little nest up against it and defecated all over it . I had not taken my rifle out for at least 3 months for cleaning and a storage greasing treatment. The previously beautifully blued steel receiver and the trigger, trigger guard, and part of the barrel are now HEAVILY corroded. (Please refer to attachments for photos.) I did not even know there were rodents in my home. So obviously, I now have 3 problems. 1. I immediately need to tend to this rat situation before it becomes an infestation. If its not already! And 2. How do I neutralize and remove the urine? 3. Is there any possible way of repairing the corrosion? Any advice or comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all in advance for your help!!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e0156b68-8352-4e8d-bea6-c7e5ed79309e&file=MARLIN_RIFLE_MOD_336CS_RIFLE_004.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And YES!!! I also hope I can put a stop to this vermin before it becomes an infestation!!! If it is'ent already! I've set traps and done everything possible to catch this rodent. But I have got to tell you. THIS RAT IS SMART!!! So far he has avoided all of the traps and i've baited them with peanut butter. He has not gone anywhere near them. That I can tell. And get this ... I HAVE A CAT!! Obviously, hes worthless! Hes fired!

Well i made the 5 gal bucket trap. 2 of them and baited it again with peanut butter. No luck. And I did not get the traps that Woods recommends only because I already had some old spring loaded traps. I was thinking about that Uhlick repeater. I was going to make one now that I see the old spring traps are not working. Thats why I said if I can't catch him within 5 days I was going to call in a pro. I figure I can make 1 within a few days and give it a few days to catch him. If the Repeater did not catch him. Then I will call in a pro.

Have you tried a UV light to see the urine tracks to see where the rat is going? There are other baits besides peanut butter - maybe your rat has already learned to stay away from that.

Yes, I am hooking up my trail camera today and the UV light completely slipped my mind. But I DO have a UV light I will use it today. The worst part is. When there is 1 rat you can almost bet there are more. And I am absolutely going to try a different bait. Obviously this rat is clued in on the peanut butter. I was thinking to change the bait on the trap without setting the spring on the trap for a day . And let the rat get comfortable with going on to the trap to get the new bait . Then after he is comfortable. Set the trap. As far as the new bait I was thinking smoked bacon. I know one thing for sure , without question... My cat is fired!! He is worthless. I assume that if I slept 18 hours a day like my cat does. I would be worthless to. But this is no excuse! This cat is going to a different owner. I know of a elderly lady that would like to have him. She certainly can have him. But not until AFTER this rat problem is remedied

You've got a bunch of folks here getting really emotionally and technologically invested in rodent extermination!
Please don't fail us!

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

If you set out spring traps, make sure that they are nailed down.
I have had to follow the trail of blood and then dig the dead rat out from behind a cabinet.
Not fun.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Yes Sir... I will not fail you!!! I don't have the traps nailed down. But, I do have them screwed down to a long strip of plywood. So if and when he does snap 1 of the traps. He is not going anywhere. I am now preparing to install my trail cam. But I will first use my UV lamp to see exactly where I should place it. Currently I have the traps set up against the wall in the backside of my kitchen. That's one of his routes. Of course I could tell because of the feces trail. I will send an update later on today

Well guys, I changed the bait to smoked bacon!! And nothing yet. I have not seen him on my cameras at all either. And no new urine trails. I am not giving up!! I can't imagine he would just move out. Believe me ... I AM NOT GIVING UP UNTIL HE IS CAUGHT!!

Well 3DDave thanks for that strange suggestion but thats not going to happen! But I will give you the latest update. My waist-of-skin cat FINALLY DID HIS JOB!! YAY! HE CAUGHT THAT RASCAL! I thought ... Jes why is this cat not catching this rat. I thought that was the natural order of the species. Well guys, If you think about it.. It was not the cat's fault at all!! It was mine!!! I was thinking, wow, why is this cat not interested in catching this rat?? This is one LAZY cat!! Then it dawned on me... Hes not lazy hes full! I was feeding him to good! I cut back on his meals and the amounts of his meals. And would'ent you know it! He went to work! He brought me that darn rat. And it was in pieces! He tore it up! And he was so proud of it he deposited right up on my bed!! I know I said I would take some pictures of it . But I am not going to do that because the shots I took are disgusting. I am not going to be relieved just yet! Not until I KNOW there are no other rats! It is VERY RARE THERE IS JUST ONE. I am relatively sure if there was 1 there are more. So I will keep my trail cams up and running for a few weeks just for good measure. Rats can do some REAL DAMAGE! And it does not take very long ! And it can be VERY EXPENSIVE!

Keep starving the cat and more rats will end up in your bed.
Every time the cat brings you a rat, you give it a treat.

Soon enough you will have a cat that is a bonafide bounty hunter...

Regarding Shawn Woods for a time I was watching his videos at night or on weekends. My wife never understood why as we live in a high floor apartment in a city.

I almost wished we had a rat problem, just to try some of Shawn's traps...

Yes, I agree with you MedicineEng, Shawn Woods has developed some pretty clever tricks!! If I have learned anything from this experience. It is that I am truly amazed at how intelligent rats are. But it makes sense! They could not have survived over eons of time without learning some technics for survival. (Bonafide bounty hunter LOL LOL YES THATS FUNNY!) Then I would have to change my cat's name to ... Dog, the Bounty Hunter!

Contract Tom! Get a good mouse trap, put an giant outdoor next to the gun saying "it is expressly forbidden for rats to camp, to defecate and urinate on my rifle" if you still believe in humanity, please convene the UN security council to make a motion of censure against shameless and indecent mice. [mickey] [cat]

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back