Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rate Equation for Heating Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenjaminM

Chemical
Dec 12, 2006
US
I am trying to develop a model for the change in temperature of an agitated tank with a steam jacket with time.

In section 5.2 of Transport Processes and Unit Operations by Geankoplis, there is an equation (5.2-3) which describes the change of temperature of a solid object with time (eg dropping a hot steel ball in an oil bath). One of the variables is h, heat-transfer coefficient.

A chapter prior in section 4.13A, the book provides an equation for heat transfer coefficients in agitated vessels with jackets.

Would combining these two equations an appropriate method for modeling the change in vessel temperature with time? Is there a more common method for doing this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What Edition of Perry's do you have? In the 6th Ed. look at Chapter 10, page 10-38 to 10-40. It's called Batch Operations: Heating and Cooling of Vessels. Kern's Process Heat Transfer has the same equations; in fact, he derives some of them.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Latexman,

My apologizes for the delay in my response. Between holiday and vacation, I've been out of the office for the past week and a half.

My Perry's is the 7th edition. Equation 18-18, is basically the same as that shown in Kern 1950, Equation 20.1. These are the same equation as the one I mentioned from Geankoplis.

Pierreick,

Thank you for the link. I will give it a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back