Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rate of Job Change 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPwrEng

Electrical
Dec 14, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm curious what your thoughts are on job changes. I like the idea of changing companies and locations, but don't want to be seen as a job hopper. What rate (1 job per 2 years, 3 years, etc) would you first begin to question hiring me? Now I don't mean a change in industry... I would be performing similar tasks and job functions, just with different companies.

I ask because my longtime girlfriend is soon going to graduate school. I myself have been out of school and working with the same company for 2 years. So potentially, I will be moving jobs after 2 years of my first job and (depending on whether we decide to move after she graduates), 3-4 years of my second job.

Any advice you could give would be very helpful. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, worst case scenario, I will be searching fir my 3rd job in 5 years, at which point I will stay for a longer time. I'd this harmful to me, considering my age and circumstance? (or will an employer care about my age and circumstance?)

It's maybe slightly negative, but there are so many other factors that may make it barely relevant.

It's certainly not as bad as 1/2 dozen 18 month jobs in a row or similar.

Also, if it's an obvious relocation then it may be less negatively viewed.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

To me, 3 jobs in a 5 year period isn't incredibly off-putting if the 5 year period is the first 5 years of someone's career. Early on, most people are trying to figure out their career path and not many hit the lottery with a career job as their first.

Three jobs in a 5 year period later in one's career, while often explainable and justified, is a bit more of a concern. This is just one person's opinion and potential employers may feel differently. That said, if I were you I wouldn't sweat it.

It really depends on your industry and location.

I have held short term contracts for as short as 2 weeks, and as long as 4 years. It depends on the project, your role, the industry, the market.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I think that the situation has to be considered. We just got through (getting through?) a large recession where a lot of people were laid off. Including myself.

After 5-6 months being unemployed I accepted a job that I normally would not have taken had I been employed already. Since then I've moved on to another job, but again the job is not perfect, although it is better.

I needed a job so I took the first one, what choice did I have? I like to consider myself a good engineer, and I think anyone who passes over people simply b/c they were at a job or two for a short time, is potentially overlooking a great hire.

I'd look more at whether they were consecutive jobs or if they were being fired from their positions. I.e. did they leave one and have a gap before the next one, etc.

A job or two or three in a short period is NOT the issue, macmet. In the early part of an engineer's career, it's not at all unusual.

The absence of any job lasting more than a few years in a 20 year career IS an issue to prospective employers, for good reason.

If you want a career as a contractor, apply for contract positions and nobody will fault you for it.

My career started in 1993
10 years, 8 months, 1 year, 5 years, 1 year, and I'm currently looking for something else. (There were a couple gaps in there also, since work is hard to find when you won't relocate, which were easily explained)
Every interview I've had a chance to explain the situations.
Bankruptsies, Downsizing, re-organizing, etc. have all contributed to my work history. I'm not willing to relocate my family, so have taken a couple jobs just to be working while looking for something better.
I encourage potential employers to call my previous supervisors for reassurance that nothing was because of my work performance.

David

davidinindy,

You have employers call your previous supervisors? What if you are still employed while you are searching for a job? Would you still have them call employers?

I've never searched for another job, so I could be wrong... but it seems that may cause some ill feelings while you are still employed

Texaspwreng,

I list my current company on my resume as confidential so that doesn't happen. I am also very careful about my online profile so they can't discover where I am working.

I don't look down on anybody's resume if they have minimum of 2 year stints at places. The guys I worry about are the one's that have new jobs every 6 months to a year. You know something is wrong there.

I have been averaging 5 years at my companies. Pushing 6 now at my current. It is about that time where the learning curve has leveled out and my growth has been stunted. My experience has shown about 4-5 years is when you stop learning.

This may not be a big deal for some, but it is a big deal for me.

Zuccus

This will vary with industry and discipline.

If you are in a project orientated discipline ( civil construction) then changing jobs at the end of a project will not be seen as a necessarily bad thing, especially if you can show that you have returned to the same company for a subsequent project.

If you are in a process industry, i.e. manufacturing engineering then job change should be showing some progressive advancement and more professional and or managerial responsibility.

As a rule of thumb a series of changes early is not necessarily a bad thing but should be balanced by longer stints with a company later in the career.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

A lot of it can be economy related. I mean, if you are taking a job for job's sake in a down economy the hiring manager should understand why you are looking for work six months later.

Back in college we were told to expect to be in 10-12 companies throughout our career, that's ~40 years indication of the 3-4 year year change. My jobs have been

1 year, half year, 3/4 year, 1.5 years, 7 years, 5 years. At the start I was emigrating to the US and trying to find something that I liked. Now I am in sales and looking to at least 5 years before sniffing the weather again.

high speed image capture, that's me..

Thank you all for your replies.

Earlier, I misinterpreted davidinindy to say that he had prospective employers call current employers. In my case, this is my first job, so I have no previous employers. There are a few people at the office however who I would trust to provide me a reference without gossiping. How do I indicate to potential employers NOT to call the office, but to call only cell phones of associates?

Or, should I not even bother suggesting a reference unless asked?

"How do I indicate to potential employers NOT to call the office, but to call only cell phones of associates? "

Maybe only provide cell #?

(Doesn't entirely stop them looking up the company website etc. but hints it.)

I've been led to believe it's best to wait to be asked for references but could be wrong.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back