Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rating hazardous locations (NEC 70-500).

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerickson

Electrical
Jun 4, 2002
US
I've been given a project where the surrounding area is rated IIG2. The new equipment I am installing is IIG2, but the existing equipment is not rated. Even worse, the non-rated equipment must be moved to make room for the new equipment, but will stay in the same IIG2 location.

1. Am I obligated to have the existing equipment rated?
2. Can I non-rate the area around the existing equipment and if so how?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I generally agree with resqcapt19, and less so with l3city.

In Class II Div 2 areas, general-purpose equipment is usually OK so long as it is dust-tight and not spark-producing. Lighting must be rated. But non-sparking equipment, such as motors, transformers, wire splices, etc., are only required to be dust-tight. There are many Div 2 light fixtures that look identical to GP fixtures except for the label affixed to them. You need to take a pretty close look at some Div 2 installations to notice the difference between them and general purpose installastions.

Note also that the boundary between general purpose and Div 2 areas might not be the same as the room perimter. Some areas of the room might be defined as general purpose, and GP installations would certainly be acceptable in those areas.

With respect but I based my opinion on your following comment: "The new equipment I am installing is IIG2, but the existing equipment is not rated"
From my part, I'll keep my word as long the existing equipment is not rated.

"peebee" says: "general-purpose equipment is usually OK so long as it is dust-tight and not spark-producing. Lighting must be rated". Again, with respect, but I don't see why "peebee" doesn't agree since you said exist. equip. is not rated. (I'm confused)

Also, as "peebee" says: "But non-sparking equipment, such as motors, transformers, wire splices, etc., are only required to be dust-tight" I agree with this, but if existing motors, they shall also be one of the following totally-enclosed types: Non-ventilated, Pipe-ventilated, water-air cooled, Fan cooled.
There are of course also different requirements for fixtures in Class II, Div II, no matter if existing or new.
Regards

By "rated" I meant "rated for use in IIG2 areas". Lighting and arc-producing equipment must carry such ratings; other equipment must only meet the requirements outlined above and is not required to be IIG2 rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back